ESPN ranks MLB teams re attaining their 2017 goals (O’s rank 28th)

Frobby

This is kind of an interesting list, which takes into account what the team was trying to accomplish.    For example, the Nats rank 12th and the Red Sox 14th because they had their sights much higher than merely winning their respective divisions, while the Brewers rank 6th for being a contender when it wasn’t really expected.    Rebuilding teams that made good progress on their rebuilds got solid rankings.  The O’s were ranked 28th: “The team that kept beating pessimistic projections ... didn’t beat pessimistic projections.”  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21320418/ranking-all-30-teams-based-their-2017-goals

With the O's bringing back in tact a very boring and losing team and the city of Baltimore not able to provide basic public safety (see Halloween violence) should be interesting to see how much lower the attendance drops. I'd say there is a greater probabilitiy of the O's leaving Baltimore than winning a WS in the next 20 years.

17 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

With the O's bringing back in tact a very boring and losing team and the city of Baltimore not able to provide basic public safety (see Halloween violence) should be interesting to see how much lower the attendance drops. I'd say there is a greater probabilitiy of the O's leaving Baltimore than winning a WS in the next 20 years.

If the team is bad next year, I expect attendance to drop pretty significantly.   But they’re not really bringing back the same team “intact” as you say.    There will be more roster changes on the O’s than with most teams.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not sure how their chances of winning the WS could be less than 0.

Exactly one team has moved in the last 40 years.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

With the Orioles bringing back in tact (sic) a very boring and losing team, and the city of Baltimore not able to provide basic public safety (see Halloween violence), should be interesting to see how much lower the attendance drops. I'd say there is a greater probabilitiy (sic) of the Orioles leaving Baltimore than winning a WS in the next 20 years.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure how their chances of winning the World Series could be less than 0.

Exactly one team has moved in the last 40 years.

o

45 years.

o

On 11/7/2017 at 5:20 PM, webbrick2010 said:

One does wonder how the violence in the city will affect attracting Free Agents. I mean its a hard sell to say, "hey honey, pack the kids up we are moving to beautiful and friendly B-more." 

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

One does wonder how the violence in the city will affect attracting Free Agents. I mean its a hard sell to say, "hey honey, pack the kids up we are moving to beautiful and friendly B-more." 

Do you really think this is a concern?  I'm not sure that many ballplayers move their families into high-crime areas of any city.

6 hours ago, pastorfan said:

One does wonder how the violence in the city will affect attracting Free Agents. I mean, it's a hard sell to say, "Hey honey, pack the kids up, we are moving to beautiful and friendly Baltimore." 

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

Do you really think this is a concern ??? I'm not sure that many ballplayers move their families into high-crime areas of any city.

o

Shades of Mike Hampton ........ when asked what the biggest reason was for him leaving the Mets and signing as a free agent with the Colorado Rockies in the 2000-2001 offseason, Hampton said, "The school system. I've heard many good things about the school system in the Denver area." 

The New York metropolitan area, with school systems in Scarsdale, Chappaqua, Eastchester, Pelham, Greenwich, CT, etc, did not meet the requirements of the Hamptons to raise their family.

Rockies' Hampton, the Education Pitcher, Is Sticking to His Story

(By Murray Chass)

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/05/sports/on-baseball-rockies-hampton-the-education-pitcher-is-sticking-to-his-story.html

o

11 hours ago, pastorfan said:

LOL.  I imagine very few (if any) Orioles have their families living in Baltimore City.  

Most of them are out in Howard County or other nearby suburbs I'm sure.  

Archived