Describe what you think the O's should be looking for in starters

wildcard

O's need three.   Here is what I think the O's should be looking to acquire. 

1) Inning eaters

2) Able to put up a .500 record

3) Short terms

I think the O's should look for Bundy and Gausman to be the starters that lead the team to the playoffs.   Each should win 5 more games than they lose and pitch 200 innings.  If they can do that then the other 3 just have to be .500 pitchers who eat innings.  I am happy with short term deals because the O's need to develop Harvey and Akin.   Both should be in the majors in a  year.

I don't want 3 expensive starters.   That money should go to Gausman and Bundy going forward.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what the drop rate is on pitchers, but it's hard to count on both of them in the future. I remember the "cavalry" days and folks were counting on them a bit much.

As far as pitches for next season...young and cost controlled. I think anything on the FA market will give us more of what we had this year. Maybe Chatwood if he is not overpriced. Other than that, Dan will have to get creative.

If they don't want to trade Machado and Schoop then they're just going to have to get lucky with their FA pitcher acquistions.  I'd certainly look to innings-eaters who have a track record of 5-6 IP with 3-4 runs allowed on short term deals and just hope to get a career year out of them. Maybe bring back Tillman on a minor-league deal and hope he can make a comeback. Other than that, I don't know what else they can do.

Consistently average or better over the last few years...let's not make the Ubaldo mistake again "Hey, this guy has been rather awful for a little while but had a nice 2nd half leading into free agency". Someone who can eat innings and keep the ball in the park. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

1) Inning eaters

3) Short terms

I think the O's should look for Bundy and Gausman to be the starters that lead the team to the playoffs.   Each should win 5 more games than they lose and pitch 200 innings.  If they can do that then the other 3 just have to be .500 pitchers who eat innings.  I am happy with short term deals because the O's need to develop Harvey and Akin.   Both should be in the majors in a  year.

I don't want 3 expensive starters.   That money should go to Gausman and Bundy going forward.

I'm not sure how you can assess how many wins and losses a pitcher is going to get.

I agree with the original post.

As I've said already, I like the combo of Chatwood and Vargas. 

I think we need a lefty in the rotation. It helps in the AL East. Plus we might be able to get him on a one year deal. I also think he's better than some people are giving him credit for. At least better than Miley.

Chatwood, assuming he passes the Os physical after two TJ surgeries, would be a relatively affordable piece that could help us now and in the future. He's 27. He keeps the ball on the ground and has had an ERA+ of 125 and 107 over the past two years. I could see him being a decent #3-4 starter for a couple years while we wait for the youngins.

SP with 50+% QS rate. W/L not important. With a strong pen 65- 70 QS translates to 85-90 W. Cashner career QS% 58, Gonzo 57, Lynn 60,  Cobb 57, Chacin  49, Dickey 60,  Garcia 53, Lackey 60, Chatwood  40, Vargas 54. IMO a high QS rate coupled with a high GB rate is the kin d of SP we need.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

I agree with the original post.

As I've said already, I like the combo of Chatwood and Vargas. 

I think we need a lefty in the rotation. It helps in the AL East. Plus we might be able to get him on a one year deal. I also think he's better than some people are giving him credit for. At least better than Miley.

Chatwood, assuming he passes the Os physical after two TJ surgeries, would be a relatively affordable piece that could help us now and in the future. He's 27. He keeps the ball on the ground and has had an ERA+ of 125 and 107 over the past two years. I could see him being a decent #3-4 starter for a couple years while we wait for the youngins.

What do you like about Chatwood? 4+ BB/9. I would like the Orioles for once to not have the guy who leads the league in walks but he would be a very good candidate to do so. 

I would be slightly more enthusiastic about Vargas but only slightly. He was pretty much shredded on the Vargas/Cashner thread. 6.0 K/9, I would not be enthusiastic about him pitching in Camden Yards against Judge etc.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

1) Inning eaters

3) Short terms

Whatever they can get at dumpster rates.

You need someone (or more than one) to fit into each of the following buckets:

1. Top of the rotation arm. We aren't going to get a true No. 1 starter. Arrieta and Darvish are the only ones out there you can qualify in that category and neither are options. The next step down, however, has some options. To me, the answer is Cobb. You need someone that can give you a mid-3 ERA in 170+ innings of work. That's exactly what Cobb did last year and he's shown the ability to do better than that. Durability has been an issue, but he's still the best bet in my estimation.

2. Mid rotation arm. Here we have plenty of options. You need someone who can pitch in the 3 or 4 spot depending on where you place Gausman and Bundy. Tyler Chatwood and Jaime Garcia would be my main targets.

3. You need a few depth guys. These guys would, ideally, be minor league signings or maybe a low dollar, one year deal. It's someone to compete with Miguel Castro and the other internal SP options for the fifth spot and/or wind up in the pen as a long reliever. This group also includes someone(s) to start in Triple-A to give the team options in case of injury. Maybe Tillman falls in this category on an incentive laden one-year deal?

Archived