Describe what you think the O's should be looking for in starters

wildcard

I think we're looking like Tillman, Miggy and one of J.Garcia and Vargas. 

We have so much money invested in the pen. Just try and get through 5 with a lead. This recipe has worked 3 times. With Manny and Schoop needing extensions, I don't think we take a LT risk on a SP. We're just going to try and grind it out like we always do. 

A bullpen of Britton, Brach, Givens, O'day, Castro, Bleier, Scott looks pretty dominant. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, webbrick2010 said:

That would be a steal for the O's

Do you ever get tired of that - - - - taste in your mouth?

Wacha has 3 year of control but are in his Arb years. His ERA the last two seasons combined are about 4.5+\-. So he's been good #3 starter type and is getting expensive.

Youd be giving up Givens 2 pre arbs seasons with 5 years of control, and Hays 6 years of control (3 on the cheap). And Givens was 1+  WAR was higher than Wacha's ....how is it a steal.

perhaps you trade Givens and a C type prospect because you need starters. 

On 11/9/2017 at 1:47 PM, Aristotelian said:

What do you like about Chatwood? 4+ BB/9. I would like the Orioles for once to not have the guy who leads the league in walks but he would be a very good candidate to do so. 

I would be slightly more enthusiastic about Vargas but only slightly. He was pretty much shredded on the Vargas/Cashner thread. 6.0 K/9, I would not be enthusiastic about him pitching in Camden Yards against Judge etc.

Chatwood has a 50% gb rate, highest in the majors. Average fastball 94.4. Excellent away from Coors. That enough?

On 11/10/2017 at 5:39 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we're looking like Tillman, Miggy and one of J.Garcia and Vargas. 

We have so much money invested in the pen. Just try and get through 5 with a lead. This recipe has worked 3 times. With Manny and Schoop needing extensions, I don't think we take a LT risk on a SP. We're just going to try and grind it out like we always do. 

A bullpen of Britton, Brach, Givens, O'day, Castro, Bleier, Scott looks pretty dominant. 

That's a last place team AGAIN.

On 11/13/2017 at 3:35 PM, Aristotelian said:

That helps explain the appeal but that walk rate terrifies me. 

It is a bit high. In an interview I read that he pitches totally different on the road then at home. He says he uses more breaking stuff on the road as his ball moves far more. It would explain a bit of command issue.

I am obviously very high on him so i could be "blind" or missing something.

1 hour ago, twinedenter said:

It is a bit high. In an interview I read that he pitches totally different on the road then at home. He says he uses more breaking stuff on the road as his ball moves far more. It would explain a bit of command issue.

I am obviously very high on him so i could be "blind" or missing something.

Not really. His BB% on the road is the same as at home.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:06 AM, mdbdotcom said:
  1. 30+ starts/200+ innings - Trade Mancini and O'Day for Jeff Samardzija. Giants need power, bullpen help and relief from Samardzija's contract. By including O'Day, the net cost per year for Samardzija would be a little over $10mm.
  2. 30+ starts/180 innings - Sign Lance Lynn for 5/100. 
  3. Sign cheap options to compete with Castro for the 5th starter role and/or provide depth at minimum

So, for a $30mm/yr payroll increase (which we can afford) the rotation is (in no particular order:

• Samardzija
  • Lynn
  • Bundy
  • Gausman
  • Someone breathing

That's a rotation good enough to take a team deep into the playoffs, not just to the division series. We would just need for Trumbo and Davis to bounce back a bit.

Not a bad idea, I would like Samardzija.  Any change they take Trumbo, O'Day, and a prospect such as Jomar Reyes?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So a negative value guy, a zero value guy and a guy with the prospect shine wearing thin?

Polish Reyes up with some more "prospect shine" and then buff it a bit. 

But really...A ground ball type pitcher or a control guy. Don't need a pitcher to strike out 10 a game if they are getting 3 up, 3 down on 10 pitches an inning. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Polish Reyes up with some more "prospect shine" and then buff it a bit. 

But really...A ground ball type pitcher or a control guy. Don't need a pitcher to strike out 10 a game if they are getting 3 up, 3 down on 10 pitches an inning. 

You have a higher opinion of the O's defense than I do.

I think they need to miss some bats.

Archived