What does no announcement of a Buck extension mean?

wildcard

Monday it will be 6 weeks since the end of the 2017 season.  That is plenty on time to work out a contract extension with Buck.   But nothing so far.

I would not think the O's would want to go into  bidding for free agents without letting everyone know that Buck is secure in his management role for the life of the FA contracts offered.  Or at least  for the next three years.      Lame duck field managers is not a good way to show the  stability of an organization.

So why hasn't the extension happened?   All I can do is guess.

I think Buck wants more control over the players he gets and the prospects that are traded then what he has under in his current role.   He is look for a role more like  Sciosica with the Angels.    GM Billy Eppler does pretty much does what Sciosica wants done.   I am guessing that Buck believes if he gets more control he has a better chance of winning a World Series as a field manager.  The one thing left for him to do to get into the hall of fame.  After all he did build a 100 win team in Arizona.

Why do you think  no Buck extension has been announced?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it’s worth, the last time Dan and Buck were extended, it was in mid-January.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/40990502-os-extend-manager-buck-showalter-executive-vice-president-of-baseball-operations-dan-duquette-through-2018.amp.html.   Of course, at the time, they weren’t on contracts that were due to expire the following season.    But, I wouldn’t read too much into the fact that nothing has been announced.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For what it’s worth, the last time Dan and Buck were extended, it was in mid-January.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/40990502-os-extend-manager-buck-showalter-executive-vice-president-of-baseball-operations-dan-duquette-through-2018.amp.html.   Of course, at the time, they weren’t on contracts that were due to expire the following season.    But, I wouldn’t read too much into the fact that nothing has been announced.

Different time.

The O's have four core players  with their contracts expiring after the 2018 season in Manny, Britton, Brach and Jones.   That causes some instability.   Finishing last in the division creates instability.   Add to that Buck and Dan both one season away from their contracts expiring.  That increases instability.   

What is a free agent the O's are trying to sign to a two or three contract to think.  It puts the O's at a disadvantage that they could minimize if the leaders going follow is clear.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Different time.

The O's have four core players  with their contracts expiring after the 2018 season in Manny, Britton, Brach and Jones.   That causes some instability.   Finishing last in the division creates instability.   Add to that Buck and Dan both one season away from their contracts expiring.  That increases instability.   

What is a free agent the O's are trying to sign to a two or three contract to think.  It puts the O's at a disadvantage that they could minimize if the leaders going follow is clear.

I don’t disagree at all.    But that’s not how the O’s roll, so it’s hard to know that it means anything at all. I actually think mlbdotcom is on to something about Fanfest being the de facto deadline for an extension to happen before the season starts.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Monday it will be 6 weeks since the end of the 2017 season.  That is plenty on time to work out a contract extension with Buck.   But nothing so far.

I would not think the O's would want to go into  bidding for free agents without letting everyone know that Buck is secure in his management role for the life of the FA contracts offered.  Or at least  for the next three years.      Lame duck field managers is not a good way to show the  stability of an organization.

So why hasn't the extension happened?   All I can do is guess.

I think Buck wants more control over the players he gets and the prospects that are traded then what he has under in his current role.   He is look for a role more like  Sciosica with the Angels.    GM Billy Eppler does pretty much does what Sciosica wants done.   I am guessing that Buck believes if he gets more control he has a better chance of winning a World Series as a field manager.  The one thing left for him to do to get into the hall of fame.  After all he did build a 100 win team in Arizona.

Why do you think  no Buck extension has been announced?

Maybe because his contract is not out until  2018. I am not looking from any stability this organization. Why would Buck want an extension in Baltimore? DD probably doesn't won't to stay in Baltimore. Say Buck does get an extension. Then Angelos gets another GM that doesn't like Buck. Seems to me Buck would be stuck. If I was Buck I wouldn't come back. IMO

25 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe because his contract is not out until  2018. I am not looking from any stability this organization. Why would Buck want an extension in Baltimore? DD probably doesn't won't to stay in Baltimore. Say Buck does get an extension. Then Angelos gets another GM that doesn't like Buck. Seems to me Buck would be stuck. If I was Buck I wouldn't come back. IMO

Buck could/should put into his contact the same type Opt Out that Maddon had with the Rays.  Contract becomes Null and Void after a GM Change if he so desires.

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree at all.    But that’s not how the O’s roll, so it’s hard to know that it means anything at all. I actually think mlbdotcom is on to something about Fanfest being the de facto deadline for an extension to happen before the season starts.  

I agree more with RZNJ.   Buck has a hand shake agreement to stay and Dan's position is tentative at this point.   As I said before Buck wants more control over the players that are acquired and he does not want to trade away young pitchers with talent.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree more with RZNJ.   Buck has a hand shake agreement to stay and Dan's position is tentative at this point.   As I said before Buck wants more control over the players that are acquired and he does not want to trade away young pitchers with talent.

You either have a marvelously rich fantasy life or the ability to read minds. Maybe both!

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I still think the smart thing to do is extend Buck for 3 years and go ahead and announce it early in the off season.

Much as I like Buck — and I’m a big fan — I don’t like the dynamic of giving him multiple years and then the next GM won’t have any say in who the manager will be for several years.    Personally I’d fish or cut bait with Duquette now, hire a new GM if Duquette isn’t being extended, and then let the new GM have input into whether Buck should be extended or not.    But, relationship with Buck should be discussed with GM candidates before the new GM is hired.    

That said, I don’t really know enough about how the relationship between ownership, Dan and Buck really works, whether it’s viable for that to continue beyond 2018, and whether a good GM candidate would be willing to accept the kind of influence Buck has over functions traditionally in the GM’s domain.    We hear rumors and innuendo, but don’t really know the facts or any specifics.    All of that plays into the decision about what to do next.   

31 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Buck could/should put into his contact the same type Opt Out that Maddon had with the Rays.  Contract becomes Null and Void after a GM Change if he so desires.

Oh I see. I didn't know Maddon had that opt out in his contract. It's so frustrating to know that this organization could be so much better if it weren't for Angelos and his cronies. As a long time fan it pisses me off to see this team being led the way it is. 

Archived