Heyman Says The Dodgers and Cubs Are Interested in Britton Again

section18

20 hours ago, section18 said:

Jon Heyman says the Dodgers and Cubs are interested in obtaining Britton from the Orioles.  I would look for Houston to try one more time as well.

What would be a fair deal with each team? Who has the most to offer?

I don't know but I sure would let him be traded. Watch Angelos and or DD screw up a deal. Don't trust them. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I would love to work something out with the Cardinals, and they seem to be in the market for a closer. They also seem to want to add a big bat (i.e., the Stanton trade chatter). I wonder if there's any scenario in which they'd take Zach and Chris D? 

Cards aren't that stupid to take on CD's contract. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I asked this before, but no one commented. Would you trade Britton for to the Dodgers for Maeda or Ryu and a lower level prospect? Both pitchers are arguably better then the second tier available free agent pitchers. Thoughts? 

Maeda yes, Ryu not so much.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I asked this before, but no one commented. Would you trade Britton for to the Dodgers for Maeda or Ryu and a lower level prospect? Both pitchers are arguably better then the second tier available free agent pitchers. Thoughts? 

Yes, I would.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing any return will be lower than what was offered at the deadline.

Probavly so now that he’s injured twice in a season. More teams with more players (ML and MiL options in offseason) might make the mix of offers a bit more interesting. 

I think it'd be a bit unwise to trade Britton this offseason. His value is very low right now and if the Orioles are truly going for it this year - they should keep him. I understand $12 million is a lot to pay to a closer, but what are the O's really going to do with that $12 million? Sign Jason Vargas? That doesn't improve the team.

Obviously, Duquette should listen to offers. If he's blown away, he should make a trade. Personally, in some crazy world where he could move Trumbo or Davis (just for the salary relief) along with Britton for nothing in return, I'd do it. 

Remember, Chapman was moved at the deadline in 2016 for Gleyber Torres, Billy McKinney, Adam Warren, and Rashad Crawford. If Britton returns to form, the Orioles can totally get a haul at the deadline. There's no rush. His value can only improve.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think it'd be a bit unwise to trade Britton this offseason. His value is very low right now and if the Orioles are truly going for it this year - they should keep him. I understand $12 million is a lot to pay to a closer, but what are the O's really going to do with that $12 million? Sign Jason Vargas? That doesn't improve the team.

Obviously, Duquette should listen to offers. If he's blown away, he should make a trade. Personally, in some crazy world where he could move Trumbo or Davis (just for the salary relief) along with Britton for nothing in return, I'd do it. 

Remember, Chapman was moved at the deadline in 2016 for Gleyber Torres, Billy McKinney, Adam Warren, and Rashad Crawford. If Britton returns to form, the Orioles can totally get a haul at the deadline. There's no rush. His value can only improve.

That's pretty much my thoughts on it. 

1 hour ago, theocean said:

If we could get a good SP for him it would be worth it. We aren't paying him after 2018 anyway, and if we are going for it we need SP more than we need a closer.

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I continue to be a little surprised by the repeated comments about strategies or decisions by Duquette (and in some instances Showalter) that focus short-sightedly on trying to win in 2018 rather than on building a competitive team in the years beyond that.

Everything I've seen and read in the past year or two contributes to a different narrative: the Orioles' owner is focused on trying to put together a winning team in 2018, with very little regard for the longer term health of the team, and he will decide whether the Orioles can make, or even pursue, a trade of any player who might be an important part of helping the team win now. So far, he consistently has decided "no" --  though, perhaps not to be a complete fool (or, more likely in my estimation not to appear to be a complete fool), at last year's trade deadline he permitted Duquette to pursue trade possibilities for some of those players before rejecting them. 

If that's the case, what strategy or trades Duquette or Showalter thinks will help the club make no difference if they would involve the departure of someone the owner views as a potentially significant contributor in 2018, like Britton, Machado, Jones or Schoop, or (probably) Mancini, Trumbo, Davis, O'Day or Brach. Tossing around trade possibilities, especially those that could improve the woeful starting staff, may be interesting. But I don't think those guys, especially Britton and Machado, are going anywhere, no matter how much a trade might help the team, as long as there is any chance they will help get the Orioles to the playoffs next year. If I'm right, that will change only if the Orioles fall far out of contention, or the owner becomes more realistic about 2018, or the owner . . .  well, you know, and we get a new owner.  

I hope I'm wrong, and that the Orioles will take some steps to realize some value for Machado and Britton, acquire some starting pitching, and build for the post-'18 future. But I haven't seen anything that makes me think that will happen.

I agree with you. 

Archived