O's interested in Tyler Chatwood

wildcard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ok, so you trade Flaherty for Scherzer, works for me. :)

If you trade Manny, you are creating a hole, and likewise any other starting position player.

Flaherty is a free agent, so we can't do that deal. I am not going to discuss trade scenarios with you.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Once they've signed Lynn and traded for Samardzija, I'd be fine with Chatwood as a #5. Maybe he could be a decent #4, but I'm skeptical.

Your hating on Chatwood but wanting Samardzija? WOW. Ok. Guy gave up 30 homers, pitching half his games in AT&T park and you wanna bring him here? Your overvaluing K's per 9. On top of that, i want to see Chatwood when he can actually use his curveball, one of the best in the majors, by the way. He hardly ever threw it at home, for obvious reasons. Check spin rate.....

Miley's whip was 1.77 as opposed to 1.44 for Chatwood. Comparing the 2 pitchers in any way, is comical.

Not saying Chatwood is an ace, but he is better than Samardzija.

From Fangraphs

That high-spin curve is pairing well with his high-spin four-seamer, especially at the new velocity. He’s thrown 38 this year, and every single swing on the pitch has produced either a strike (via foul or whiff) or a ground ball. 

1 minute ago, twinedenter said:

Your hating on Chatwood but wanting Samardzija? WOW. Ok. Guy gave up 30 homers, pitching half his games in AT&T park and you wanna bring him here? Your overvaluing K's per 9. On top of that, i want to see Chatwood when he can actually use his curveball, one of the best in the majors, by the way. He hardly ever threw it at home, for obvious reasons. Check spin rate.....

Miley's whip was 1.77 as opposed to 1.44 for Chatwood. Comparing the 2 pitchers in any way, is comical.

From Fangraphs

That high-spin curve is pairing well with his high-spin four-seamer, especially at the new velocity. He’s thrown 38 this year, and every single swing on the pitch has produced either a strike (via foul or whiff) or a ground ball. 

I'm not "hating" on anyone and object to your use of the word.

If Chatwood could throw strikes consistently, all this stuff about spin rate would be great. But since he has always walked more than 4 per 9IP, regardless of ballpark, he could easily be the next Orioles pitching disaster. I'll take Samardzija's reliable 30 starts and 200 IP over Chatwood's spin rate any time.

28 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

From Fangraphs

Yeah, not so much

7.31K/9 4.69BB/9 4.94FIP 4.27xFIP 1.1fWAR

8.88K/9 1.39BB/9 3.61FIP 3.60xFIP 3.8fWAR

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm not "hating" on anyone and object to your use of the word.

If Chatwood could throw strikes consistently, all this stuff about spin rate would be great. But since he has always walked more than 4 per 9IP, regardless of ballpark, he could easily be the next Orioles pitching disaster. I'll take Samardzija's reliable 30 starts and 200 IP over Chatwood's spin rate any time.

Salary aside, I’d rather have Samardzija than Chatwood because he’s more durable.    But since Chatwood is a free agent who will cost much less per season than Samardzija, who we’d have to trade assets to acquire, it’s really apples and oranges.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Salary aside, I’d rather have Samardzija than Chatwood because he’s more durable.    But since Chatwood is a free agent who will cost much less per season than Samardzija, who we’d have to trade assets to acquire, it’s really apples and oranges.   

I’d like both, even under a reloading scenario that I prefer. Chatwood provides upside, if he works out he’ll be much more valuable than his salary.  Samardzija can anchor a rotation with consistent innings, he’s not an ace but will give you 200 rock solid innings a year.  Anyone who has watched this team the last couple years knows the value of that.

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

200 innings?   Yes.   Rock solid?     Sure, wins are a misleading statistic but Samardjia is 68-87 for his career.   His ERA+ was under 100 (79 in 2015 /  94 last year) in two of the last 3 years.   He enters his age 33 season this year.   He gave up 30 home runs last year in the NL, where the pitcher hits,  with half of his games in a spacious park.    Granted, Samardjia is durable and will give you innings.    For 59.4M due over the next 3 years plus potential prospects going back, no thanks!

By the way, his road stats last year.   4.81 with 22 homers in 112 IP.     Sure, that's an improvement over our terrible 3 from last year.   No good enough.    This guy is a potential 5+ ERA  (heck!  He was 4.96 3 years ago with the White Sox) in Baltimore.    That's the wrong kind of anchor.

We should be taking chances, but low cost chances.    Chatwood makes sense at the 3/30 range on a contract.   Miles Mikolas or guys like him make sense on small contracts.    There is no reason to be rolling dice on guys making 20M per year.

This. Exactly this. Samardjia is a guy who has never been as good as what they expected him to be. At this point, he has established himself as a back of the rotation innings eater. At his price? Not a chance.

Archived