Orioles Protech Wynn, Harvey, and Hess prior to the rule 5

Roll Tide

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They can add people in the next hour and 15 minutes. 

Wilkerson is the biggest surprise, especially with the news that they want to move Manny to short. 

You already know I'm extremely happy about one of these additions.

Per Roch :No other players from inside the organization can be placed on the roster before the Rule 5 draft.

I’m sure they would have protected Wilkerson if they thought there was a substantial chance another team would claim him.    Apparently, they don’t think so, and they’re probably right.    Doesn’t mean we won’t give him a hard look this spring, though.   

1 hour ago, weams said:

How does everyone feel about this? I'm ok. I think they were wise. 

Lucas Long is the only other guy I would have protected.  Hopefully other teams aren’t aware of him (since late round draft pick, underperformed peripherals until this year).  I think he’d be easy to carry much easier than a Jason Garcia type.  

Wilkerson types are common, Means has never had prospect status, Rifaela is too raw and isn’t a 4/5 OFer type, Dosch might get picked if he was flexible defensively but he’s not even very good at 3rd. 

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, he might get picked and he's more polished and advanced than Garcia was.  But Garcia got picked because they believed he threw upper 90's.   We never saw it but that was the report.   The Rockies took Tommy Kahnle a few years ago because he had a big arm as well.    Guys like Long get picked.   Look at Logan Verrett.   I'd say there are some similarities there although Verrett had more pedigree (3rd round) and was already in AAA (and younger) when the O's selected him.    Steve Johnson got picked by the Giants one year but didn't stick.

I think it's a long (no pun intended) shot that he gets picked but clearly the Orioles do not feel that Long is a future ML starter or a high leverage bullpen piece.   If they did, then they screwed up because they have 7 available slots and you should use one on that type of talent.

Long doesn’t have upper 90s heat, but his fastball is much harder to square up Garcia, think Yacabonis with control, better delivery. 

Long has better stuff than Verrett or Johnson. 

I don’t think he’s a likely starter or high leverage reliever, but he’s a solid middle reliever, who can eat up innings and even spot start without hurting you too much.  If either the slider, cutter, or changeup tick up he has starter upside.

Considering the O's need for pitching I am surprised that Long was not protected. He could be in the majors this year mid summer.   Harbor Park should do more to help him than hurt him.    So if he is that close then there is a chance one of the 29 teams will claim him.  He made not stick but I am not sure that is the point.   The O's need to develop pitching and letting him get claimed is not a good way to do that.

Wilkerson does not fit with the O's right now as the UIF because he hasn't played SS.   But if Manny walks he could be help the team next year.  He is probably a better 2nd than 3B.   If he has a good year a AAA he could be in line to make the 25 man roster in 2019.  With him playing 2B and Schoop at 3B.   I don't think  the O's believe that is a good enough reason to put him on the roster.   I don't agree but that means nothing.  Someone may like what he did at AA and AZ and claim him.

Luis Gonzalez wasn't on the radar at the end of the regular season.   Any older player playing at A+ ball he probably would not be taken.   But he O's showcased the lefty in the AZ league and he showed well.  Now there is a chance someone takes him.   I know zip about his stuff so I don't know if he can stick somewhere.

Means is not ready for the majors as a starter.  The question is can he help someone's pen as a lefty.   The O's think not.  Its just weird to me that a team that needs pitching so badly does protect a left-hander that would probably  continue his development at AAA next year.

In general these four guys seem to say that the O's are really focused on 2018 and not  anything passed that.

Honestly I just think people overstate the end risk.  Even if these guys get taken they're not guarantee to stick, and even if they stick, so what?  We've been playing this rule 5 game for years now and the best we've gotten out of it in the Buck/Duquette regime has been Flaherty.  Who's been a nice little contributor, but hardly someone that I think the Cubs lament losing.  Maybe Santander can become a contributor as well.  Ultimately these guys aren't protected for a reason.

11 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Lucas Long is the only other guy I would have protected.  Hopefully other teams aren’t aware of him (since late round draft pick, underperformed peripherals until this year).  I think he’d be easy to carry much easier than a Jason Garcia type.  

Wilkerson types are common, Means has never had prospect status, Rifaela is too raw and isn’t a 4/5 OFer type, Dosch might get picked if he was flexible defensively but he’s not even very good at 3rd. 

Long and LHP Luis Gonzalez are the two at risk if you ask me. I would have protected Long over Hess personally, but Buck is all about velocity. His strange obsession with Stefan Crichton kinda shows that. 

Both don't have a ton of upside so this would be one of these situations where if a team is rebuilding and has a bullpen need they might get selected, but I'd say there's probably a 25% chance or less that they get taken since they don't have the big arms.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No one is taking a utility guy who can'y play shortstop effectively so he should be fine.

I think the dislike of Flaherty by some on this board, is causing them to put too much hope into Wilkerson being the on the bench instead of Ryan.

and I agree with you, he should be fine.

Archived