Could John Hart be our GM in waiting?

mdbdotcom

12 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

You may be right. But again I haven't seen anything about a Braves scandal. I don't know and haven't heard what the so called scandal is about. So I don't know if Hart is guilty of anything. I just think he has a good baseball mind. What the O's need. Of course Angelos ties down the hands of his GM. 

The long and short of it is the Braves lied about the signing  bonuses they were paying to international amateurs, thus evading the limits set by MLB on such spending.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

You may be right. But again I haven't seen anything about a Braves scandal. I don't know and haven't heard what the so called scandal is about. So I don't know if Hart is guilty of anything. I just think he has a good baseball mind. What the O's need. Of course Angelos ties down the hands of his GM. 

They lied about the bonuses they were giving to international prospects, and promised at least 1 US player other benefits for signing below draft slot. Their GM was just given a lifetime ban the other day.

I haven't seen anything implicating Hart but I wouldn't sign him even if he didn't do anything. 

16 minutes ago, billw76 said:

They lied about the bonuses they were giving to international prospects, and promised at least 1 US player other benefits for signing below draft slot. Their GM was just given a lifetime ban the other day.

I haven't seen anything implicating Hart but I wouldn't sign him even if he didn't do anything. 

Yeah, Hart either knew what was going on or didn't know what was going on.  Either way ain't good.

20 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Boston, New York, and Toronto stealing signs.  San Diego lying about the health of players they trade.  St. Louis hacking Houston's database.  Atlanta falsifying bonus amounts on international signings.

Whole lotta cheatin' goin' on.

4 hours ago, Number5 said:

Boston, New York, and Toronto stealing signs.  San Diego lying about the health of players they trade.  St. Louis hacking Houston's database.  Atlanta falsifying bonus amounts on international signings.

Whole lotta cheatin' goin' on.

I always smile when I hear the old baseball adage "if you're not cheating, you're not trying". These organizations are taking it to heart.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:44 AM, Frobby said:

I’m with TX Oriole.    Guilt by association is not an adequate basis to ban Hart for life.    How do we know Hart was aware of rumors about what Coppy was doing?    I’d expect MLB to investigate Hart’s role, and if there’s evidence that he deliberately turned a blind eye to what was going on, then I’d support a ban.    But if it’s merely a case of something that happened to occur without Hart having reason to know or seriously suspect, I think losing his current job is easily punishment enough, and it’s for other teams to judge whether he’s worthy of being hired, not for MLB to dictate.   

You can make that point, but you can't ignore that he SHOULD have known and done something about it.  From all the reports from weeks and months ago, it was common knowledge all around MLB what the Braves were doing.  Hart hired Coppy, and he was his direct boss.  The only way he didn't understand what was going on is if he was negligent in doing his job.  So, at best, he's quilty of negligence.    

Archived