O's in discussions with Cubs, Almora Jr appears to be the target.

Roll Tide

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Almora is the return I'm all for trading Britton. The FO needs to start building for the future and Britton will be gone after the season. It's not guaranteed Britton will return to form after injury anyway so this off season may be the last good chance Duquette has to get something of good value for him.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Britton had two years left to play, he’d bring back more than Almora. 

Thanks Frobby... I just wasn't sure if Almora was considered an elite prospect or just a very good one.  Hard to complain with a good prospect and salary relief.

43 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

I see most of you are trying to convince yourselves and others that we could take on another OF.  Count me in among the unconvinced.  There's not a position for which we have more decent prospects.  This move stinks.  And I couldn't care less about the salary which in my memory NO ONE had brought up before as some thorny issue.  I thought trading Britton was about helping bring the team what it needs the most - starting pitching.  When did that fall by the wayside?  

Some of us have been talking about his salary for years.  It was most certainly mentioned last year when some of us were advocating selling high.

16 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The article mentions Britton or Gausman but you have to assume that it's Britton. Thoughts?

http://www.12up.com/posts/5822867-report-orioles-express-interest-in-young-cubs-star?a_aid=40920

Just wondering - has anyone seen anything about this elsewhere?  This article cites a tweet from something called sports mockery.  Is that a real source?

The Cubs have been linked a few times to the Orioles in regards to their dynamic closer Zach Britton, but most believe the Cubs have other names in mind. Particularly starter Kevin Gausman, who has struggled in his time with Baltimore, but is a former top prospect in the Oriole system.

While our source did not list names of anyone the Cubs would move Almora for, he did hint at their interest in Gausman. Saying, “They would like Gausman,” which honestly isn’t saying much, but does confirm the Cubs would consider a deal involving him.

Now, Almora alone likely doesn’t make this deal work, and the Orioles want to acquire more pieces to try and avoid rebuilding. Maybe adding some like Kyle Schwarber or Javier Baez is something they consider if Gausman is involved, but that seems unlikely.

To move two cost-controlled pieces in Almora and Schwarber/Baez for Zach Britton and Kevin Gausman just doesn’t seem like a move the Cubs would make. Now, if the Orioles would accept some high-ceiling prospects who are a few years away, this deal could get done.

Characters

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I've never heard of it.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's bogus, but I think I'll wait to see it written up by some of the more traditional sites before I get too excited about any trade possibility with the Cubs.

3 hours ago, Black Bat said:

I see most of you are trying to convince yourselves and others that we could take on another OF.  Count me in among the unconvinced.  There's not a position for which we have more decent prospects.  This move stinks.  And I couldn't care less about the salary which in my memory NO ONE had brought up before as some thorny issue.  I thought trading Britton was about helping bring the team what it needs the most - starting pitching.  When did that fall by the wayside?  

It seems like we have a lot of OF depth but Mancini would be better at DH. Trading Jones would bring even more salary relief and possibly a SP. 

This team needs to reallocate some payroll. Nobody is going to take Davis, Trumbo, or O'day's contracts. So we're married to them. That means in order to create the payroll flexibility to sign Machado and Schoop, we have to trade Britton and maybe Jones. 

4 hours ago, Black Bat said:

I have said that the Orioles would non-tender Britton or trade him. All along. Because of the money and the health. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some of us have been talking about his salary for years.  It was most certainly mentioned last year when some of us were advocating selling high.

Of course it was. And A year of a reliever does not bring back a good starter. Especially when he is so expensive. 

Archived