O's in discussions with Cubs, Almora Jr appears to be the target.

Roll Tide

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Why make this move when you have Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Santander and Mancini? Go for pitching with the cubs 

Because you named exactly one proven big leaguer and a bunch of question marks ... and Almora might be better than all of them eventually.

34 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

What is the upside comparison of Almora Jr.?

.290/.345/.460 with gold glove D in CF never going to hit more than 15ish Hr, but should hit a lot of doubles. His speed is simply just above average but his instincts in the outfield are off the charts. He gets huge jumps on balls that let him make catches that other faster guys couldn't get to. If he can keep improving vs righties the ceiling might be even higher.

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

.290/.345/.460 with gold glove D in CF never going to hit more than 15ish Hr, but should hit a lot of doubles. His speed is simply just above average but his instincts in the outfield are off the charts. He gets huge jumps on balls that let him make catches that other faster guys couldn't get to. If he can keep improving vs righties the ceiling might be even higher.

He has really good base running instincts though.  He did score the WS winning run for the cubs two years ago.  He got a great read off that bat and scored from first.  

You could make an argument that it's 50/50 over he and Jones, for who will be the better player next year.  Almora would be a slight underdog given track records.  Almora is trending up, while Jones is just getting another year older.  

I'm not in the rebuild crowd for this upcoming season, but if you get Almora, then you can dangle Jones to a contender for an upper level SP prospect.  The market just might be a little flooded with L.Cain being a FA, and McCutchen also being available for a trade.  You could trade Britton and Jones, gain a CF and a SP, plus create the 30 million to re-sign Manny.  It would suck to lose AJ, but I'd rather have Manny wrapped up on a long contract.  

Ironically enough, Chris Davis, might be the reason we can't afford to keep AJ.  Considering AJ met with PA to keep Davis.  #keepmanny

57 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

This + freeing up $14MM for a free agent pitcher.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

This team is not going to go into a rebuilding mold.

Angelos is getting older and wants to see another WS team.

Buck and DD are lame ducks, there is no reason to go into full bore rebuilding now.

Trading away Jones and Britton wouldn't be rebuilding.  It was just be reallocating resources.  Relievers and OF's are actually two positions that we have prospect options, plus they're real close to being MLB ready.  We'd be in a much better position to compete next year with spending our money on top notch FA SP, rather than having it tied up in areas where we have some internal options.  

As of right now, we have the worst MLB SP's in baseball.  Adding FA's like Garcia and Doug Fister isn't going to move that needle enough.  We need to clear some money and go get Darvish.  Accept the fact that the farm is empty with MLB options for realistically the next two years.  Buy the arms, grow the bats.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trading away Jones and Britton wouldn't be rebuilding.  It was just be reallocating resources.  Relievers and OF's are actually two positions that we have prospect options, plus they're real close to being MLB ready.  We'd be in a much better position to compete next year with spending our money on top notch FA SP, rather than having it tied up in areas where we have some internal options.  

As of right now, we have the worst MLB SP's in baseball.  Adding FA's like Garcia and Doug Fister isn't going to move that needle enough.  We need to clear some money and go get Darvish.  Accept the fact that the farm is empty with MLB options for realistically the next two years.  Buy the arms, grow the bats.  

We’ll never chase Darvish.     PA wouldn’t allow that no matter how much payroll room we had.   

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That was Davish that tanked in the Playoffs right?

I dont see DD pulling the trigger on trading those two. IMO

Most teams are not going to overpay for getting somebody in the last year of their contract.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

PA signed off on Ubaldo for 4/50 which was not well spent, hindsight shows, but PA did allow it, and that was a shock to most of us fans at the time.

4/$50 mm was 3rd starter money. That’s a million miles from what it’ll take to sign Darvish.   

Just now, Frobby said:

4/$50 mm was 3rd starter money. That’s a million miles from what it’ll take to sign Darvish.   

True, but at the time, PA wouldn't go over 3 years and over 10mil per year for SP.

I have to be honest, I read that Darvish is expected to get 5/150, which is crazy.

IMO, I have a hard time pay any pitcher that kind of money.

Thankfully, I am not in charge. :)

Archived