Cubs target again?

Thats Baseball

This is a joke.  Another offseason of Orioles blue balls.  

First Almora, now onto Baez.  First, why would Chicago trade either for a package centered around Britton?  Second, Baez has more of the offensive problems that plague the Orioles which is lack of on base percentage production.  Third, at least the Orioles appear to be barking up the right tree and trying to target guys that are on their upswing of their careers, which is a nice change of pace, assuming that, you know, this were to actually happen.  Which it won't.   

And if it did, did it move the needle?  Did it address any REAL issues that this team faces pretending to be a contender headed into 2018?  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's not really the point of this conversation. We aren't to the point where we have to give Manny away (or settle for less) if we trade him. Are Baez and Almora better than getting nothing for Manny? Of course. Is it a fair trade? Of course not. 

I included a pitching prospect as well. They would be worth that IMO

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It doesn't address the pitching but it reduces payroll which frees up money to go after FA pitching.   Cubs have the depth to make shortsighted moves.  And then sign Cobb.

Well if the FO was left in your capable hands, it'd make sense.  However, the payroll, IIRC, is way reduced this year, correct?  

They can go after FA pitching all they like, I just question them to go after the right ones.  You know, the guys that are still out there while there's a week to go before pitchers and catchers.  Like Ubaldo, for example.

8 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's not really the point of this conversation. We aren't to the point where we have to give Manny away (or settle for less) if we trade him. Are Baez and Almora better than getting nothing for Manny? Of course. Is it a fair trade? Of course not. 

8 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I included a pitching prospect as well. They would be worth that IMO

Especially when you're talking trading away only a single year of Manny.  If Baez settles into what he's done recently, on a consistent basis, you could get 3 WAR seasons under team control through 2021.  Unless he gets hurt or seriously regresses, he'll surpass one year of Manny by then easily.  And you guys are also adding in other players with potential on top of that.  I'd easily make that trade.

If someone has time to look back at all-star type free agents who were traded in their walk year (and what the other teams got for them) it would be a really interesting comparison. 

I have to admit, after digging into his numbers and reading a few scouting reports I'm definitely warming to Baez. 

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If someone has time to look back at all-star type free agents who were traded in their walk year (and what the other teams got for them) it would be a really interesting comparison. 

I have to admit, after digging into his numbers and reading a few scouting reports I'm definitely warming to Baez. 

Baez is definitely a guy you can dream on.  One of the few examples of grade 80 bat speed out there.  The swing is long with some serious bat wrap, really a swing you can only get away with if you have great bat speed.  Also, serious approach issues at the plate.  So huge upside if he can work either of those issues out.  The fact he is as productive as he has been is a testament to his huge talent.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:11 AM, Roll Tide said:

If this rumor is true you have to think that Machado is on the market. Why else are you looking at another fielder with Manny, Beckham, and Schoop?

The O's are interested in Baez for Britton, not for Gausman or Manny.

The Cubs badly want Gausman. Them floating names like Baez and Almora demonstrates that. In the end, nothing is going to happen. The O's won't trade Gausman and the Cubs won't trade Almora or Baez for Britton.

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is a joke.  Another offseason of Orioles blue balls.  

First Almora, now onto Baez.  First, why would Chicago trade either for a package centered around Britton?  Second, Baez has more of the offensive problems that plague the Orioles which is lack of on base percentage production.  Third, at least the Orioles appear to be barking up the right tree and trying to target guys that are on their upswing of their careers, which is a nice change of pace, assuming that, you know, this were to actually happen.  Which it won't.   

And if it did, did it move the needle?  Did it address any REAL issues that this team faces pretending to be a contender headed into 2018?  

This is the Cubs negotiating through the media. Don't hold this one against the O's.

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if the FO was left in your capable hands, it'd make sense.  However, the payroll, IIRC, is way reduced this year, correct?  

They can go after FA pitching all they like, I just question them to go after the right ones.  You know, the guys that are still out there while there's a week to go before pitchers and catchers.  Like Ubaldo, for example.

I 100% agree. From the past history of this front office, there is nothing to make me think they will sign quality. Needing as much pitching as we do (Mismanagement in itself), compounded with the turtle like speed they move with, this slow market HURTS the o's chances of landing 2 quality starters.  

2 hours ago, twinedenter said:

I 100% agree. From the past history of this front office, there is nothing to make me think they will sign quality. Needing as much pitching as we do (Mismanagement in itself), compounded with the turtle like speed they move with, this slow market HURTS the o's chances of landing 2 quality starters.  

It’s too soon to call this a slow market.    It’s November.    The winter meeting are 2 weeks away, and then things will get into high gear.   

• These deals make zero sense for the Cubs who will be after arms, not bats. If they make this trade all they do is make it impossible to make a trade for any arms which means 2 via FA and then they're maxed on payroll with no way to bring back Manny and a much worse 2019 squad. 2019 Cubs with Harper,Baez,Russell are much better than 2019 Cubs with just Machado.

17 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:
  • These deals make zero sense for the Cubs who will be after arms, not bats. If they make this trade all they do is make it impossible to make a trade for any arms which means 2 via FA and then they're maxed on payroll with no way to bring back Manny and a much worse 2019 squad. 2019 Cubs with Harper,Baez,Russell are much better than 2019 Cubs with just Machado.

Most of what I've read mentions Britton and Gausman. Someone suggested Manny could be involved and I thought we might actually be smart enough to move him if we were adding Baez who currently would not have a position on this team.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

As I said before, this is about Gausman from the perspective of the Cubs. That front office LOVES Gausman and thinks his lack of success is simply a product of poor coaching by the O’s.

Archived