Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So until Cobb is ready, we need a #5 starter.  Probably will be Cortes or Wright.......since none of the other guys have really even competed.

Shouldn't it come down to who matches up better vs the Astros and whoever the next turn would be?  Looks like it would be Toronto after that?

1 hour ago, weams said:

I think Wright has better defense against the long ball when his head is straight. 

His 1.6 HR/9 rate as a major leaguer suggests otherwise.    But at the moment I don’t find either one of them very inspiring.    Thank goodness we went and got Cobb.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

His 1.6 HR/9 rate as a major leaguer suggests otherwise.    But at the moment I don’t find either one of them very inspiring.    Thank goodness we went and got Cobb.

Well since Cortes was never abused by MLB batters, I just was making a leap. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not really.   The three runs came on two singles followed by a homer.    

I think, unfortunately, that Cortes is going to be prone to the long ball when he makes a mistake.   

Right. I was more upset with the first single when he had two strikes on someone named Avelino. Gotta put those guys away.

52 minutes ago, Aglets said:

So until Cobb is ready, we need a #5 starter.  Probably will be Cortes or Wright.......since none of the other guys have really even competed.

Shouldn't it come down to who matches up better vs the Astros and whoever the next turn would be?  Looks like it would be Toronto after that?

I hate playing at HOU. I say call up Gamboa and throw a knuckleballer at them early in the season. We need some type of gimmick. Wright, Cortes, and Castro, are just going to get rocked. 

5 hours ago, Aglets said:

Isn't the #5 starter role with Tillman for now?

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Tillman. That's four. Cobb is going to get stretched out in extended and the minors before joining the Orioles. He'll miss at least 1 turn of the rotation.

5 hours ago, Aglets said:

So until Cobb is ready, we need a #5 starter. It will probably will be Cortes or Wright ....... since none of the other guys have really even competed.

Shouldn't it come down to who matches up better vs. the Astros, and whoever the next turn would be?  It looks like it would be Toronto after that.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

o

He said until Cobb is ready.

If Cobb is not ready until mid-April (or later), then Tillman will briefly move up to the #4 spot until the Orioles' latest acquisition is ready to pitch.

o

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, Tillman. That's four. Cobb is going to get stretched out in extended and the minors before joining the Orioles. He'll miss at least 1 turn of the rotation.

Honestly-if I had any input, I would have stretched out Richard Bleirer for a spot start or two. I like him and think he can spot start in a pinch and be effective. 

I love Castro, but understand he has not been good transitioning, so I would assume it would be Wright over Cortes but probably doesn't' matter much really at this point. Fun to discuss though!

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

He said until Cobb is ready.

If Cobb is not ready until mid-April, then Tillman will briefly move up to the #4 spot until the Orioles' latest acquisition is ready to pitch.

o

Oh yeah forgot about that, hope Cobb misses two starts max.  Tillman needs to be hidden as much as possible until he proves the old Tillman has returned.  

Archived