Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

On 2/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, Frobby said:

I often wonder what people mean by a team needing 7 or 8 starters.   Here’s how many different pitchers have started a game during each year in the Duquette era, and how many of them started either 5+ or 10+ games:

2012: 12, 9, 8 (2 not in the organization on Opening Day)

2013: 14, 10, 6 (1)

2014: 7, 6, 6

2015: 8, 8, 6

2016: 9, 8, 8 (1)

2017: 11, 7, 6 (1)

Looking more broadly around MLB, last year 316 pitchers started a game — about 10.5 per team.  239 (8 per team) started 5 or more; 191 (6.4 per team) started 10 or more.   And, for what it’s worth, 56 of the 316 pitchers who started a game made their major league debut in 2017; 29 started 5 or more and 18 started 10 or more.   There’s another group of 73 who debuted in 2016, 13 of whom still haven’t made 5 starts.

Bottom line: it’s highly likely the O’s will need more than 8 pitchers to start a game in 2018.    But some will pitch only a few games, and they don’t all necessarily need to be established big league starters.

Again - not worthy - but who does this research unless they are obsessively geek-challenged???

Love what you bring Frobby!  Nestor the Molestor!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/24/2018 at 6:59 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Cortes stated that his 67 MPH-pitch was a sidearm-slider, and that it was once clocked at 47 MPH. ) *

6 OUTS:3 Groundouts,  3 Flyouts

NESTOCORTEZ, JR.  ))))))  (vs. TWINS, 2/24) ))))))[Spring Training]

IP:.llll 2

H:lllll  1 )) (1 Double)

R:llllll 1

BB:.ll 0

SO:)l..0

Pitches: )  23 (16 )Strikes, .7)Balls)

2018 ERA: 4.50 ll (Spring Training)

2018 WHIP: )l 0.500  ll (Spring Training)  2 IP (1 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .167 ll (Spring Training) )  1 for 6  

PITCHES BY INNING

11 ll(8 lllStrikes,  lll31 lllBalls)

12 ll.(8 lllStrikes,  ll41  llBalls)

* )) Per Roch Kubatko

o

o

(vs. YANKEES, 3/21) )))))) [Spring Training]

Cortes pitched 3 shutout innings out of the bullpen in the 5th, 6th, and 7th frames before ceding a 3-run home run to Aaron Judge in the 8th.

He struck out 3 batters in his 4 innings of work, but he also yielded 3 free passes (2 walks and a hit batsman) in that same span.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380321110

o

34 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 3/21) )))))) [Spring Training]

Cortes pitched 3 shutout innings out of the bullpen in the 5th, 6th, and 7th frames before ceding a 3-run home run to Aaron Judge in the 8th.

He struck out 3 batters in his 4 innings of work, but he also yielded 3 free passes (2 walks and a hit batsman) in that same span.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380321110

o

Wow he gave up a HR to Judge? Off with his head! He's chopped liver. 9_9

Yeah not gonna kill a guy for serving up a Homer to Judge, who before tonight only had 1 spring homer. So he was due. First night game, end of ST anxiety.

He did strike out Judge a few games ago on a straight up fastball. It was pretty amazing.

38 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Wow he gave up a HR to Judge? Off with his head! He's chopped liver.  9_9

o

Where did I state (or insinuate) that he should be decapitated and/or that he sucked because of the home run?

I also stated that he had 3 shutout innings prior to the home run. 

I reported precisely what he did on the mound today, including the strikeouts and the free passes. 

o

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

The walks are what killed him.

Not really.   The three runs came on two singles followed by a homer.    

I think, unfortunately, that Cortes is going to be prone to the long ball when he makes a mistake.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not really.   The three runs came on two singles followed by a homer.    

I think, unfortunately, that Cortes is going to be prone to the long ball when he makes a mistake.   

Woops you're right. Thought those were walks preceding the home run.

3 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Now that the Orioles have Cobb, I am no longer sure if they should keep this guy. What do you guys think?

We still need a swing guy who can go multiple innings in the pen or spot start, and it helps if he’s a lefty since our entire rotation is right handed.   Cortes fits the bill, but only if he can get major league hitters out. 

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Where did I state (or insinuate) that he should be decapitated and/or that he sucked because of the home run?

I also stated that he had 3 shutout innings prior to the home run. 

I reported precisely what he did on the mound today, including the strikeouts and the free passes. 

o

You didn't it's simply that people are acting like this outing has jeopardized his place on the team. He did fine for 3 innings and then gave Judge a cookie It happens. I was making a joke nothing to do with you.

Archived