Winter Meetings 2017

weams

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm just confused how the Britton situation will "resolve itself" without him being traded and then we aren't going to trade Brach so it just makes no sense to me. 

If we don't trade him, that's a resolution.   If the Dodgers and other teams looking for a closer fill their need elsewhere, that's a resolution.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If we don't trade him, that's a resolution.   If the Dodgers and other teams looking for a closer fill their need elsewhere, that's a resolution.

Yes, it seems fairly simple.  The Orioles would prefer to keep Brach and trade Britton, as they prefer Brach's contract and health.  Unfortunately, all the other clubs think the same thing and so the offers for Britton aren't what DD wants/needs.  Trading Brach is the last resort in this scenario.

Point #2 is equally obvious --  Angelos has not authorized any trading of the MLB roster at this point.

DD is currently not permitted to trade both Brach and Britton & despite the Manny rigmarole of the last 36 hours, it seems clear that DD does not have approval to make that trade either

3 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Yes, it seems fairly simple.  The Orioles would prefer to keep Brach and trade Britton, as they prefer Brach's contract and health.  Unfortunately, all the other clubs think the same thing and so the offers for Britton aren't what DD wants/needs.  Trading Brach is the last resort in this scenario.

Point #2 is equally obvious --  Angelos has not authorized any trading of the MLB roster at this point.

DD is currently not permitted to trade both Brach and Britton & despite the Manny rigmarole of the last 36 hours, it seems clear that DD does not have approval to make that trade either

I think "it seems clear" is a stretch.   We have no ideas what has been discussed or what offers have been made.    Maybe DD doesn't have approval to trade Britton, maybe he does.   It's guesswork, nothing is clear.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Makes too much sense, but Buck needs an identifiable closer like Linus needs his security blanket.  That they're willing to trade one of them makes in a glass half full situation IMO.

We’ve had an excellent bullpen the last six years doing things Buck’s way.    The bullpen guys all swear by the way he handles them.    I’m not about to second guess or criticize his bullpen management.   

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm just confused how the Britton situation will "resolve itself" without him being traded and then we aren't going to trade Brach so it just makes no sense to me. 

If your only trading 1 I believe Britton is more valuable. Still think you can trade Brit to the Rockies, Get 3B Welker #4, RP  Almonte #10, and LP Sam Howard.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah even when they try to make smart decisions they still manage to put unnecessary restraints on themselves

To me thats the biggest problem with this team, the unnecessary restraints. 

Whether it's avoiding Latin America, always carrying a Rule V guy, the waiting for the market to "percolate", it just seems like the front office does all it can to handcuff itself and make things as difficult as possible. 

1 minute ago, billw76 said:

To me thats the biggest problem with this team, the unnecessary restraints. 

Whether it's avoiding Latin America, always carrying a Rule V guy, the waiting for the market to "percolate", it just seems like the front office does all it can to handcuff itself and make things as difficult as possible. 

I agree on the restraints.   The international stuff, the no posting, the no longterm pitcher contracts, the time delay caused by the need to get ownership approval for deals... all hamper the GM.

Not sure the Rule 5 thing is a restraint though.   It may be a natural result of the GM not being allowed to do a lot of other things, so he pursues one avenue to bring in talent that he IS permitted to do.   I seriously doubt that Angelos has ordered them to get Rule 5 guys every year.

Boston is the team that I think we should deal Manny to. After what the Yanks have done they are feeling the pressure to answer, Manny would be the answer to the Stanton move. We have made big deals with Boston in the past, and I think this trading within the division thing is just stupid. If Boston wants to be fleeced for Manny then fleece them.

17 minutes ago, theobird said:

Boston is the team that I think we should deal Manny to. After what the Yanks have done they are feeling the pressure to answer, Manny would be the answer to the Stanton move. We have made big deals with Boston in the past, and I think this trading within the division thing is just stupid. If Boston wants to be fleeced for Manny then fleece them.

Boston 's farm has been picked clean/graduated at this point.  

Man, third day in and really very little has happened in these winter meetings.   One major trade (Ozuna... I don't consider Headley a major deal).   And outside of relief pitchers playing musical chairs and signing for big money, and a couple Tommy John pitchers who might not see the mound until August signing, there haven't even really been any significant free agent signings.   (As far as I know, Cobb to the Cubs is still "imminent" as it has been since before the Winter Meetings started).

It ain't what it used to be.

Does OH have a Rule V Draft Countdown Clock?

Archived