The 2016 rotation

Frobby

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bundy, Gausman, M.Harvey, Vargas, Fiers.  

AAA- Ynoa, Asher

Wildcard- Hunter Harvey

With a healthy Britton you can win with that rotation. 

I'd consider the off season a failure unless Brittion, Brach, and Machado were no longer on the team.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

That is probably a last place team.

4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If I had my druthers it would be, Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Lynn, CC..

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I'd consider the off season a failure unless Brittion, Brach, and Machado were no longer on the team.

You guys are setting yourselves up for big let downs this offseason. 

My guess is the O's offer Chatwood 4 years.  Maybe not initially but that is where they are prepared to go.

Vargas - 2/24,  I don't know if that is enough  but that is where I guess they are.

Tillman - The O's will offer a low base but  more incentives than anyone else.

Dan, thinks he can trade Trumbo for pitching.  I don't know if that works but Dan is trying.

O's will be in on Cashner.

Not all of that works but maybe some will.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

My guess is the O's offer Chatwood 4 years.  Maybe not initially but that is where they are prepared to go.

Vargas - 2/24,  I don't know if that is enough  but that is where I guess they are.

Tillman - The O's will offer a low base but  more incentives than anyone else.

Dan, thinks he can trade Trumbo for pitching.  I don't know if that works but Dan is trying.

O's will be in on Cashner.

Not all of that works but maybe some will.

I hope he can trade Trumbo for pitching. I don't think it will be a very useful pitcher, but it would mean Trumbo is gone so I'd be happy.

I'd be fine with signing Vargas and Chatwood but I still don't think it will be enough to make us a playoff team.

7 hours ago, Black Bat said:

You really are pushing hard for a rebuild.  I'm with you.  Enough Band-Aid solutions.  In fact, rip it off.  I don't understand the support for the status quo where we keep rotating mediocre players while giving up farm prospects to somehow stay relevant for that particular year thereby mortgaging the future. 

A rebuild will allow for more sustained future winning through more young talent acquisition.  It seems that many here are impatient and can't appreciate nor fathom the sacrifice that is required to move forward.  It's the only way to compete with those big money markets within the division.  Mediocre, bought talent will not beat all-stars despite the bullpen strength.  You need to inexpensively grow your own quality players and when you do so, like Houston or the Cubs, then add a few veterans to the mix to defeat the big guys, if necessary.  

I love the O's approach thus far to develop a strong bullpen to offset the disparity among SP talent.  But they have a chance to develop that SP staff now.  And they have lost their way of retaining that other ingredient: strong defense.  And they need better situational hitting, less swinging for the fences and less strikeouts as this approach can only take you so far...such as first round playoff exits.  They can build something much better than that but it needs a new approach.  

If you are going for it prove it by signing Cobb, one of Chatwood/Vargas/ the Rangers pitcher, and a 5th starter that can give 150 innings of 4-4.5 era ball. 

If your not serious than rebuild.

to all those who are saying I’m building up for a big letdown... I’m not... we have one of the worst owners in professional sports and a GM who is another blundering idiot if he believes the fans wouldn’t be happy with a rebuild. If your plan is to let our best players leave at the end of this coming season you are not good for the health of the franchise or the fans.

i believe most fans are pretty smart and can see right through the half measures that at best make us pretenders!

11 hours ago, Black Bat said:

I hear you but actually think it's better than the depressive, down-on-their-luck approach alternative.  Spring hopes eternal.  If you can't find optimism in life, you are lost.  Maybe they don't get their Santa's list filled but maybe guys the O's get will outperform expectations.  

Trading for Matt Harvey was my optimistic hopeful move. Lol. The Red Sox just waived Henry Owens https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=owens-002hen.  He’s worth a look. 25. LH. 367 IP in AAA, 3.53 ERA. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trading for Matt Harvey was my optimistic hopeful move. Lol. The Red Sox just waived Henry Owens https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=owens-002hen.  He’s worth a look. 25. LH. 367 IP in AAA, 3.53 ERA. 

I think he’s worth a look, too, but he wasn’t very good last year. I don’t think signing with the Orioles gets him back to his career numbers.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:58 AM, Black Bat said:

You really are pushing hard for a rebuild.  I'm with you.  Enough Band-Aid solutions.  In fact, rip it off.  I don't understand the support for the status quo where we keep rotating mediocre players while giving up farm prospects to somehow stay relevant for that particular year thereby mortgaging the future. 

A rebuild will allow for more sustained future winning through more young talent acquisition.  It seems that many here are impatient and can't appreciate nor fathom the sacrifice that is required to move forward.  It's the only way to compete with those big money markets within the division.  Mediocre, bought talent will not beat all-stars despite the bullpen strength.  You need to inexpensively grow your own quality players and when you do so, like Houston or the Cubs, then add a few veterans to the mix to defeat the big guys, if necessary.  

I love the O's approach thus far to develop a strong bullpen to offset the disparity among SP talent.  But they have a chance to develop that SP staff now.  And they have lost their way of retaining that other ingredient: strong defense.  And they need better situational hitting, less swinging for the fences and less strikeouts as this approach can only take you so far...such as first round playoff exits.  They can build something much better than that but it needs a new approach.  

That is funny to read on an Orioles fan message board. Oriole fans don't know what it is like to sacrifice.....we are so spoiled with our years of easy winning, can't even remember what it is like NOT to go to the WS every year.

Rebuilds are fine, but are very far from a guarantee. Odds are your rebuild will result in a mediocre team 4 years from now, no better than the one we currently have assembled. Bottom line - We need much better starting pitching....if we can get that for 2018, we can make the post season. 

Archived