Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Rays must be bleeding money, they are getting rid of every valuable asset.  Or they decided to blow it up and do a full rebuild, since the Red Sox and Yankees look untouchable for the next several years.  

The Rays expect to have a new ballpark open in Tampa in four or five years, so starting a rebuild now makes sense. Also, they likely expect to lose much of the little attendance they have now in St. Petersburg after announcing that they want to leave the city. Attendance in St. Pete would go down no matter what. They have to clear payroll to prepare for that.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Rays expect to have a new ballpark open in Tampa in four or five years, so starting a rebuild now makes sense. Also, they likely expect to lose much of the little attendance they have now in St. Petersburg after announcing that they want to leave the city. Attendance in St. Pete would go down no matter what. They have to clear payroll to prepare for that.

They've chosen a site they like.  Nothing more.  A LOT more has to happen to make that stadium a reality.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Rays must be bleeding money, they are getting rid of every valuable asset.  Or they decided to blow it up and do a full rebuild, since the Red Sox and Yankees look untouchable for the next several years.  

They’ve gotten good returns. Full blown fire sale mode would be to trade Archer and Kiermaier. I don’t see either getting traded before the trade deadline. 

I wish we would’ve been in on Odorizzi. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hypothetical trade with TB. Trumbo for Span and Dickerson. We’d likely have to kick in a prospect. But we get Dickerson for LF, Span in RF, and Mancini at DH. 

Why would a rebuilding team that’s dumping salary trade for two years of a glorified DH? This hypothetical makes zero sense.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

They've chosen a site they like.  Nothing more.  A LOT more has to happen to make that stadium a reality.

And nothing else needs to happen to alienate fans in St, Petersburg who go to a few games a year. Also, announcing that they've chosen a site commits them to paying the city of St. Petersburg some money, which is why the announcement was delayed for months after initial rumors surfaced. The pieces of the site have been purchased by a shell corporation in anticipation of the move. What they need now is the financing. That will be a big job, but it's hard to imagine they don't get it done.

22 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

And nothing else needs to happen to alienate fans in St, Petersburg who go to a few games a year. Also, announcing that they've chosen a site commits them to paying the city of St. Petersburg some money, which is why the announcement was delayed for months after initial rumors surfaced. The pieces of the site have been purchased by a shell corporation in anticipation of the move. What they need now is the financing. That will be a big job, but it's hard to imagine they don't get it done.

By financing you mean getting the local politicians on board with milking the taxpayers right?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

By financing you mean getting the local politicians on board with milking the taxpayers right?

Correct. Plus, having them create new hotel/entertainment taxes that can be dedicated to financing the stadium so people from all over the country can pay for it.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Why would a rebuilding team that’s dumping salary trade for two years of a glorified DH? This hypothetical makes zero sense.

I said kick in a prospect. Right now they are on the hook for all of Spans $11 million and Didkerson’s $4.9 million. That’s $15 million in 2018. Trumbo is owed $12.5 million in 2018. Would Santander as a PTBNL and a low level arm be enough?  

It’s just a fun trade idea in a thread titled “slow offseason”. It’s been so slow we haven’t had our fill of trade ideas. This one accomplishes a bunch of things, 

1. Gets rid of Trumbo 

2.  Puts Mancini at DH and not OF

3. Fills the need for a lead off type bat.

4. Improves defense in RF

5. Gets us that LH OF bat we need. 

6. Improves defense in LF

Not a perfect fit. But still bad contact for bad contract. Maybe an extra 18 games vs our pitching staff improves Trumbo’s trade value. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They’ve gotten good returns. Full blown fire sale mode would be to trade Archer and Kiermaier. I don’t see either getting traded before the trade deadline. 

I wish we would’ve been in on Odorizzi. 

Who? I guess if you are high on Arroyo, Solak, and Banda. They had to take on Span's salary to get Arroyo. I have to squint to see an average major league everyday player in that bunch. Souza Jr especially should have commanded a potential impact prospect, 3 years of control, only making 3.5M in 2018. I know Souza Jr has only had one above average season, but there is nothing about his 2017 that makes you think it was too fluky. His HR/FB will probably go down a little, but his BABIP was low considering his speed, how hard he hits the ball, and his batted ball distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a comparable all around player over the next three years to JD Martinez (who will make at least 50M more than Souza over the next three years).

Carlos Gomez off the board:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4403/carlos-gomez

MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that the Rays have agreed to a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Carlos Gomez.
The one-year deal -- which is pending a physical -- will come with a $4 million guarantee, per Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Gomez struggled to attract significant interest on the open market this winter despite posting an .802 OPS with 17 home runs and 13 stolen bases in 105 games last season with the Rangers. He battled hamstring, shoulder, and ankle ailments throughout the year, but with better health this could be a nice bounceback situation for both Gomez and the rebuilding Rays. The 32-year-old will play a corner outfield spot, with defensive maestro Kevin Kiermaier sticking in center field.

6 minutes ago, murph said:

Cargo off the board:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4403/carlos-gomez

MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that the Rays have agreed to a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Carlos Gomez.
The one-year deal -- which is pending a physical -- will come with a $4 million guarantee, per Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Gomez struggled to attract significant interest on the open market this winter despite posting an .802 OPS with 17 home runs and 13 stolen bases in 105 games last season with the Rangers. He battled hamstring, shoulder, and ankle ailments throughout the year, but with better health this could be a nice bounceback situation for both Gomez and the rebuilding Rays. The 32-year-old will play a corner outfield spot, with defensive maestro Kevin Kiermaier sticking in center field.

Is Gomez's nickname Cargo, too? I always think Carlos Gonzalez when I think Cargo.

Archived