If you owned the Orioles, what decisions would require your approval?

Frobby

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'd be inclined to believe that Angelos is holding a grudge over Duquette due to the Toronto episode. 

That said if Duquette is given authority to put Machado on the trade block, does that argument hold that much water?

As for before re: MacPhail, yes he came here to do a rebuild. Duquette should be able to push Angelos in the direction that this club needs a rebuild in 2018 and beyond. The only way I see that not happening is if for some reason (maybe reputation?) Duquette is telling Angelos that the O's should/can compete in 2018. Maybe to save his own arse. I don't know.

I think DD knows that we're going to be bad for a few years after 2018. He also knows the point is moot because of Angelos' age. He wants to win one before he dies. And who knows how long he has left? 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, interloper said:

What really grinds my gears is that while I understand there might be a mandate against rebuilding in this organization, rebuilds can be done fairly quickly. The Red Sox went from last to first in a year. If you make wise trades and signings, there's no reason you can't effectively retool in a year or 2 and compete. There's an argument to be made that depending on the return for Manny, the team could be better without him.

If you see the writing on the wall a couple years in advance, go ahead and make those moves to continually bring in young talent. The team can spend a really substantial amount of money, too, and that's a great asset. We just aren't forward thinking enough. 

The Red Sox had a weird rebuild: last, WS winner, last, last, ready.  They had everything go right in that 2nd year, getting great years out of numerous older stopgap players.    I really look at it as a four year rebuild with one outlier year in the middle of it.    But you could see them coming on in the final season of the rebuild.    

It’s harder for us because we don’t have their budget and we’ve handicapped ourselves by not playing in the Latin American amateur market.   And, we won’t spend on pitching, which is a problem the Red Sox have never had.

4 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think DD knows that we're going to be bad for a few years after 2018. He also knows the point is moot because of Angelos' age. He wants to win one before he dies. And who knows how long he has left? 

The average life expectancy of 88 year male is 4.6 years but probably a lot of those men have serious health issues. A 88 year old male in decent health probably has on average over 10 years left.  Especially one who can afford the best health care.  

As Owner there is one other thing I would make clear. While making money is nice, the way to do that is build a winning team and organization. Get to the Playoffs and win a WS or 2. If your GM and Management team feel they cant do that, find someone else.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:20 PM, cimota said:

The average life expectancy of 88 year male is 4.6 years but probably a lot of those men have serious health issues. A 88 year old male in decent health probably has on average over 10 years left.  Especially one who can afford the best health care.  

I’m gonna disagree with that completely. And we do not know the health situation. 

On 12/20/2017 at 4:42 PM, LookitsPuck said:

I'd be inclined to believe that Angelos is holding a grudge over Duquette due to the Toronto episode. 

That said if Duquette is given authority to put Machado on the trade block, does that argument hold that much water?

As for before re: MacPhail, yes he came here to do a rebuild. Duquette should be able to push Angelos in the direction that this club needs a rebuild in 2018 and beyond. The only way I see that not happening is if for some reason (maybe reputation?) Duquette is telling Angelos that the O's should/can compete in 2018. Maybe to save his own arse. I don't know.

Angelos has already been indirectly quoted that he wants to compete in 2018 for the season-ticket holders.  He wants one more year of us before he loses those who joined up after Machado came up and when the club started winning.  

If I was the owner, the baseball department, from the top down, would be the responsibility of a team president.  He sells me on the direction he wants to take, I hire him, and let him do the hiring/firing of the GM and front office.  Let him and the GM make the decision on the manager, and the manager and GM make the decision on the coaching staff here and in the minors to best coach up what we decide on proceeding as an organization as it pertains to player development.  No avenues of player acquisition would be closed off, and the baseball people run the baseball side, the business people run the business side of the club.  Ownership doesn't really need to interfere except when it's time for the team president to go.  

On 12/20/2017 at 4:19 PM, LookitsPuck said:

I have a feeling that Duquette having 1 year left on his deal probably didn't (and maybe still doesn't) have full conviction to try and push for a rebuild because...how does that affect his future in the industry?

This is a great post, but I'm only touching this last part.  Duquette is airing all of the dirty laundry about how the Orioles operate right now.......he's trying to distance himself from decisions that ownership made that handicapped him.  The Blue Jays wanted to make him team president over Mark Shapiro in Cleveland, but had to settle for Shapiro.  He's got a future in the industry for sure, but he's planning for it.  Also as a fan, I do like hearing why the team operates the way it does, especially for international signings and postings, even if I don't agree with it. 

I was actually talking to a co-worker of mine around the draft, and it seems that the Orioles have a very specific mold of player that we tend to target, and we don't often deviate from it.  And coaching all of our players up the same way and making them robots (i.e. starting from the stretch, using the sidestep while in the stretch to be quicker to the plate) it just doesn't make sense.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow, some pretty heated tweets over there in Avoid Controversyland.

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don’t follow?

I was referring to some of the tweets made in response to the Orioles wishing everone a Happy Kwaanza on their twitter account.   

22 hours ago, weams said:

I’m gonna disagree with that completely. And we do not know the health situation. 

I actually once worked for a company that owned 400 nursing homes and had to write a program to predict when people would die.  But you are right we don't know his health situation but for sake of argument assumed he was in good health.  

I have been staying away from posting here for awhile, but I 've been reading the comments.  Very interesting. But the word Kwanzaa isnt an insult. Kwanzaa is  special holiday that many African-Americans celebrate. Look it up on Google.  The Orioles (or whoever) were being sincere in posting that tweet.

Back to baseball.  Sigh...O.o

Archived