So What is the Plan for Starting Pitching?

backwardsk

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I love the O's.  It tears me apart what the O's are doing to improve the club.  Look at the Bleacher report article I got today.

Offseason Moves

What exactly is the Baltimore Orioles plan?

Hold onto trade chips like Manny Machado, Zach Britton and Brad Brach, and then clean up the scraps of the starting pitching market in hopes of posting a winning record and avoiding a last-place finish in the AL East?

That doesn't sound great.

The O's had the worst starting pitching in baseball last season with a miserable 5.70 ERA and they've done absolutely nothing to address that situation to this point.

In fact, they've really done nothing of significance, period.

It looks like the window of contention for this current group has slammed shut and everyone realizes it except the front office.

Sell. Sell now. Starting building toward the future.

Throwing a couple band-aids on the starting rotation at the end of the offseason and hoping for the best is just a wasted year.

Grade: F

• Nov. 22: OF Jaycob Brugman acquired from OAK for RHP Jake Bray.
    • Dec. 14: RHP Jose Mesa selected in Rule 5 draft.
    • Dec. 14: RHP Michael Kelly signed in free agency (MLB deal).

Spot on by Bleacher Report.  If I could give the Orioles an F- or G or H, I would.  What a pathetic offseason to date.

Right now the rotation is Bundy, Gausman, Castro, Cortes, and about a 15 man fight for the 5th spot between people that do not belong in an MLB rotation.

*This post is in no way intended to make anyone feel even one ounce better about our rotation situation xD

5 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Do you thing Buck and Dan even know they have a starting pitching problem? 

If they don't know then we on OH have wasted a good portion of our lives. Knowing that you have a problem and being able to do something about it are 2 different things.

4 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

I love the O's.  It tears me apart what the O's are doing to improve the club.  Look at the Bleacher report article I got today.

Offseason Moves

What exactly is the Baltimore Orioles plan?

Hold onto trade chips like Manny Machado, Zach Britton and Brad Brach, and then clean up the scraps of the starting pitching market in hopes of posting a winning record and avoiding a last-place finish in the AL East?

That doesn't sound great.

The O's had the worst starting pitching in baseball last season with a miserable 5.70 ERA and they've done absolutely nothing to address that situation to this point.

In fact, they've really done nothing of significance, period.

It looks like the window of contention for this current group has slammed shut and everyone realizes it except the front office.

Sell. Sell now. Starting building toward the future.

Throwing a couple band-aids on the starting rotation at the end of the offseason and hoping for the best is just a wasted year.

Grade: F

• Nov. 22: OF Jaycob Brugman acquired from OAK for RHP Jake Bray.
    • Dec. 14: RHP Jose Mesa selected in Rule 5 draft.
    • Dec. 14: RHP Michael Kelly signed in free agency (MLB deal).

That had to have been at least a 5 page article. Click bait. 

The Orioles need to get with the program. Their window of opportunity for the post season is in the rear view mirror. It's time to tear it down and rebuild. Every baseball expert I read says the same thing.

The problem is Angelos thinks this group still has a chance if we pick up some more average pitchers. Sorry but he's wrong.

Brach, Britton and Machado should have been traded last year. I didn't like the O'day signing. Hated the Davis deal. We've made blunder after blunder while the Yankees are stockpiling talent.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Apparently, part of the plan is trying to convert Dariel Alvarez.  

That’s been the plan for Álvarez since last spring, since they’ve concluded he’s not a major league hitter but may have the arm to make it as a pitcher.   But nobody thinks he’s a major league pitcher in 2018.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s been the plan for Álvarez since last spring, since they’ve concluded he’s not a major league hitter but may have the arm to make it as a pitcher.   

I don't necessarily hate the move, it's just...when this team does so many things wrong, it's hard to look at that and take them seriously.

Archived