Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Another round of people here thinking we are going to sign Cobb at a 4-5 year deal at anywhere from 65-90 million.    

Really?    Show me ONE post by someone who’s said they think this will happen.  

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, esmd said:

That's really the root issue.  They need to pick a lane.  Either TRULY go "all-in" and try to win a WS in Manny's last year as an Oriole, or sell off all the vets over 29 or 30 and try and rebuild.  The problem is that they'll do neither.  Pick a lane.

No doubt. It's hard to comprehend the Orioles game plan. Maybe the front office is simply clueless.

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

No doubt. It's hard to comprehend the Orioles game plan. Maybe the front office is simply clueless.

I don't think they are clueless, just that they have backed themselves into a corner.  They have managed to make "going for it" impossible and they waited too long to get the most out of a rebuild.

3 hours ago, esmd said:

That's really the root issue.  They need to pick a lane.  Either TRULY go "all-in" and try to win a WS in Manny's last year as an Oriole, or sell off all the vets over 29 or 30 and try and rebuild.  The problem is that they'll do neither.  Pick a lane.

This.  Go big or go home (rebuild).

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Really?    Show me ONE post by someone who’s said they think this will happen.  

My point was that there are many posts wishing Cobb to be signed...and I think that this is not going to happen.   My mistake was using the word “thinking” instead of “wishing”.  But I am not wishing or thinking it will happen.  I don’t want him at any of the prices mentioned in this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

If they are out on Cobb then they Gooffy. The team needs good pitchers. 

Exactly. I just read that article and thought, "if we spent 4 years and 50 mil on Ubaldo, how can we not be involved if it looks like 3 years at 42 mil could be possible?". Even if we have to go above that because we aren't a sexy team, there's no reason not to be involved.

I wish we would back the price off on Manny, trade him for at least one quality starter, old or young (instead of the ridiculous ask of 2) and a prospect, and then sign one of the free agent pitchers with the near 16 mil we'd save this year and the money coming off the books next year.

If we stand pat this off season and sign a Vargas or Cashner type and don't make a trade or grab a starter more quality than that, I may take a year off from my fandom. 

My hope is that Duquette is playing this market out, because obviously it's a slow moving market and maybe a steal could be had. But man, we need to make a move for one more quality starter, or in my mind we need to start blowing it up. I can't take the in between anymore. 

7 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Exactly. I just read that article and thought, "if we spent 4 years and 50 mil on Ubaldo, how can we not be involved if it looks like 3 years at 42 mil could be possible?". Even if we have to go above that because we aren't a sexy team, there's no reason not to be involved.

I wish we would back the price off on Manny, trade him for at least one quality starter, old or young (instead of the ridiculous ask of 2) and a prospect, and then sign one of the free agent pitchers with the near 16 mil we'd save this year and the money coming off the books next year.

If we stand pat this off season and sign a Vargas or Cashner type and don't make a trade or grab a starter more quality than that, I may take a year off from my fandom. 

My hope is that Duquette is playing this market out, because obviously it's a slow moving market and maybe a steal could be had. But man, we need to make a move for one more quality starter, or in my mind we need to start blowing it up. I can't take the in between anymore. 

I don't believe that 3/$42 is possible.  I'm pretty sure that is what the Cubs reportedly offered and Cobb turned it down.  If he has a change of heart and decides to accept that offer, I'm pretty sure it would be with the Cubs, not the Orioles.  The Orioles would have to be considerably above that, IMO.

Archived