Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s been a lot of changes in the scouting staff since 2011.    It seems to me Gary Rajsich and crew have done a pretty good job.

Comparatively, the Orioles have less scouts all around than other teams. 

*Ha! Assumption. The Orioles have 88 listed scouts, 7th in MLB. The Yankees have far and away the most at 152.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A word of caution on Cobb.  Eno Sarris touched on him in a podcast I just heard - he's researched a piece he's saving for when Cobb signs about how starters who pitch consistently close to their max velocities are more often injured.  Cobb was close enough to the top of the list the topic is being "dedicated" to him.  The only time he was healthy 3 years straight - it was averages of 24 starts and 150 innings, I don't think his winner can hope for more volume than that from 30-32.

It's more the norm than in Bedard's time, but I think whoever gets him would do well to ride him easy.  I think even Lackey's a better bet if you need someone to push towards 200 innings for 2018.

12 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If PA was your owner you wouldn't be able to do that. And if he said win now but no international signings, No big FA SP signings draconian physicals, etc. what would you do then? Assuming you couldn't afford to resign 

Try to get a job as Toronto President. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s been a lot of changes in the scouting staff since 2011.    It seems to me Gary Rajsich and crew have done a pretty good job.

They have. Real nice job of drafting and developing.  Considering the picks that have been lost. 

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

A word of caution on Cobb.  Eno Sarris touched on him in a podcast I just heard - he's researched a piece he's saving for when Cobb signs about how starters who pitch consistently close to their max velocities are more often injured.  Cobb was close enough to the top of the list the topic is being "dedicated" to him.  The only time he was healthy 3 years straight - it was averages of 24 starts and 150 innings, I don't think his winner can hope for more volume than that from 30-32.

It's more the norm than in Bedard's time, but I think whoever gets him would do well to ride him easy.  I think even Lackey's a better bet if you need someone to push towards 200 innings for 2018.

Front Page

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Comparatively, the Orioles have less scouts all around than other teams. 

*Ha! Assumption. The Orioles have 88 listed scouts, 7th in MLB. The Yankees have far and away the most at 152.

Interesting.    Where’d you find the information?

8 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Honestly if we offer the same amount of money to a pitcher as other teams, do you really think the pitcher turns us down because the Yard is hitter friendly? Don't you think the real reason we don't sign top flight pitchers is Angelos?

Yes. And No. 

Archived