Would the Cubs Raise Their Offer for Machado If We Threw in Britton?

mdbdotcom

Britton is an expensive question mark for the O's. Do we keep him, release him or release him and attempt to re-sign him at a lower cost? If we keep him, it will be for 3-4 months of regular season work. Hopefully, he'll be healthy and we'll get a good offer at the deadline.

Or, we could package him with Machado and take less for him than he was worth a week ago. It seems to me that the Cubs could be a good match for that scenario. Maybe they give us all three players we have discussed with them - reportedly, Almora, Russell and Montgomery - plus a AA pitching prospect. Maybe we could even get a little more?

Britton for the second half of the season and the playoffs could be a great addition for the Cubs.

For the O's, getting some of what we were hoping to get in team-controlled players AND dumping $30 million in payroll adds up to a pretty good deal to me. It also eliminates uncertainty and provides direction for the rest of the off-season. 

What do you think? 

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Britton value is basicly nothing since he'll make $13 or $14 mill in arbitration and pitch 1/2 the season.  Including Brach in the trade might be more reasonable.

What did the Cubs give up for a a few months of Chapman? They'll make the playoffs without Britton, but the way bullpens are used in playoff games, he could be a difference maker for them.

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Britton is an expensive question mark for the O's. Do we keep him, release him or release him and attempt to re-sign him at a lower cost? If we keep him, it will be for 3-4 months of regular season work. Hopefully, he'll be healthy and we'll get a good offer at the deadline.

Or, we could package him with Machado and take less for him than he was worth a week ago. It seems to me that the Cubs could be a good match for that scenario. Maybe they give us all three players we have discussed with them - reportedly, Almora, Russell and Montgomery - plus a AA pitching prospect. Maybe we could even get a little more?

Britton for the second half of the season and the playoffs could be a great addition for the Cubs.

For the O's, getting some of what we were hoping to get in team-controlled players AND dumping $30 million in payroll adds up to a pretty good deal to me. It also eliminates uncertainty and provides direction for the rest of the off-season. 

What do you think? 

Well since Britton is hurt and could be out half a season. Why would the  Cubs want him? I've come to accept that Angelos will not let DD trade Manny. Very stubborn and foolish old man. 

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Britton value is basicly nothing since he'll make $13 or $14 mill in arbitration and pitch 1/2 the season.  Including Brach in the trade might be more reasonable.

Maybe pitch 1/3. Grilli said it took him two years. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well since Britton is hurt and could be out half a season. Why would the  Cubs want him? I've come to accept that Angelos will not let DD trade Manny. Very stubborn and foolish old man. 

For them it would be just like dealing for him at the deadline (as they did for Chapman the year they won the WS) but without giving up as much.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

What do you think? 

Entirely too much risk for way too much money from the Cub's perspective.

If they had to pay Britton four times less, then maybe they bite.  As things are though, there's no way.

The Cubs have around $30-$35M left to spend, and need another SP, another RP, and backups at C and OF.

So let's play this forward, with Almora Russell and Montgomery for Britton and Machado.

None of the needs they have going in are addressed.

But now there's an additional vacancy in the rotation with Montgomery gone.

And there's an additional vacancy in the OF with Almora gone.

And there's no money left to fill any of their needs.

And several trade chips are gone that might otherwise be used to fill needs.

Even if the value proposition was fair (it's not, IMO), this trade takes the Cubs very much backwards.

People were talking about a 72-hour window in a Machado trade for the acquiring team to negotiate an extension.  That really made no sense , but I think such a stipulation in a Britton deal may make a lot of sense. 

As of now, the Orioles can keep Britton and pay him an estimated $12 million or so thru arbitration and hope he comes back around the All-Star break if they are lucky.  Or, they can cut him before a certain date in spring training and be responsible for 30 days of his arbitration-awarded salary, which figures to be around $2 million. 

Any team the Orioles trade him to now would face those same choices, so it is unrealistic to expect any worthwhile return at all.  Offering a 72-hour window to allow the team to work out a possible extension that reduces this year's dead money, while perhaps giving the team the potential for a healthy Britton in the future at a very reasonable salary, may just be attractive enough to a team to generate at least a half-decent return.  Worth a shot, IMO.

Archived