What are the odds of a modest Chris Davis comeback in 2018?

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are dropoffs, and there are dropoffs.   If Davis were to maintain his current 44 OPS+, that level of drop might be unprecedented at age 32 for a healthy player.   

Adam Dunn went from 138 to 54 at age 31.  I think there is a precedent. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, atomic said:

Adam Dunn went from 138 to 54 at age 31.  I think there is a precedent. 

Yeah, and what happened with Dunn after that?   114, 105, 115.   Not sure what happened in his 54 OPS+ season, but it wasn’t the end of him being a productive hitter, it was some weird one-season event.   

12 hours ago, Natty said:

Maybe he should try batting right handed.  

I know you were probably joking. But in my playing days my right handed swing was so messed up that a guy suggested to me that I should practice batting left handed. The premise being that you would have to take it back to your basic swing to generate any bat speed. I swung the bat 50 times from each side a day until I got more and more comfortable swinging left handed. I never took it to a game because my power was still from the right side but would fool around with it in batting practice. I actually started making cleaner contact left handed than right handed. To the point that guys would ask me if I was naturally a left handed hitter.

The point being is that it actually did help me with my dominant side. But I think it was more to do with taking my swing back to a basic swing. Short and simple.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2017 at 10:48 AM, Luke-OH said:

I really don't know, I saw slider bat speed and a decay of footspeed, which are both terrible signs.  I'm hopeful there was an injury or lack of conditioning that could improve, but I'm not holding my breath.  It looks bad, he didn't get particularly unlucky with balls in play or fly balls turning into HRs.  I would think there might be some regression towards career means like the projection systems predict, but it could also be an aging cliff he's in the process of falling off.

My offseason take.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Davis’ Struggles Don’t Mean Contract was a Mistake

(By Andrew Stetka)

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2018/04/andrew-stetka-davis-struggles-dont-mean-contract-was-a-mistake.html

o

Ugghhhh, what a terrible spend for the sake of spending take.

Yes, the contract was a mistake, just like previous contracts for aging sluggers. (Pujols, Howard, Fielder, etc)

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You left off the guy with the torn bicep.

Yea...........looks like he may actually be on the list of worse contracts than Chris Davis.  Mayyyyybe.    Is that a list of one?    I guess Prince Fielder is up for debate, lol.

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Ugghhhh, what a terrible spend for the sake of spending take.

Yes, the contract was a mistake, just like previous contracts for aging sluggers. (Pujols, Howard, Fielder, etc)

The author of that blog is a major Orioles apologist. The contract was awful at the time because of the length and amount of money for a guy who had major red flags.

No one could have predicted this kind of falloff since it's almost historical in nature, but there was little information to think that Davis was going to worth his contract but a lot of information to believe it would become a boat anchor for an organization that can't afford a boat anchor.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The author of that blog is a major Orioles apologist. The contract was awful at the time because of the length and amount of money for a guy who had major red flags.

No one could have predicted this kind of falloff since it's almost historical in nature, but there was little information to think that Davis was going to worth his contract but a lot of information to believe it would become a boat anchor for an organization that can't afford a boat anchor.

No wonder MASN has him as a guest blogger.

You could make an argument that if you have to absorb a contract now is the best time to do so. A ton of cheap players in the next several years. 

I know some people will always view this money and say Manny left because of it but who knows about that. I don’t think one necessary has anything to do with the other.  

Archived