Orioles Interested in Carlos Gonzalez?

wildbillhiccup

On 1/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

Because it's a game of quality not quantity. Jones and Mancini are the only two you named with any sort of Major League success.

Well that's because Hays, our #1 prospect, has only played in twenty MLB games. 

As for the back ups, Rickard is increasingly registering as an above average defensive corner outfielder.  He also has a career .333 OBP against lefties and has stolen 12 bases in 14 attempts as an Oriole.

I'm not saying we have the best outfield in the majors, but it has a lot of upside, youth, and depth.  I want the Orioles to be laser focused on addressing their rotation issues.  I'd rather not clog up the outfield with aging players like Carlos Gonzalez, who we'd probably end up giving a multi-year deal to, and end up blocking players like Stewart and Mullins down the road.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Well that's because Hays, our #1 prospect, has only played in twenty MLB games. 

As for the back ups, Rickard is increasingly registering as an above average defensive corner outfielder.  He also has a career .333 OBP against lefties and has stolen 12 bases in 14 attempts as an Oriole.

I'm not saying we have the best outfield in the majors, but it has a lot of upside, youth, and depth.  I want the Orioles to be laser focused on addressing their rotation issues.  I'd rather not clog up the outfield with aging players like Carlos Gonzalez, who we'd probably end up giving a multi-year deal to, and end up blocking players like Stewart and Mullins down the road.  

Doesn’t matter. You asked why the sheer number of outfielders wasn’t enough. The answer is because there’s no quality. Rickard will be lucky to play the majors again.

15 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Doesn’t matter. You asked why the sheer number of outfielders wasn’t enough. The answer is because there’s no quality. Rickard will be lucky to play the majors again.

Why does the team need outfielders with proven major league success?  (btw I am not sold that Mancini has "proven" he can maintain a 1.8-2.2 level of production while an outfielder)

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why does the team need outfielders with proven major league success?  (btw I am not sold that Mancini has "proven" he can maintain a 1.8-2.2 level of production while an outfielder)

Mancini is on the path to superstardom!

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because otherwise we’re the Padres.

The Padres do inane experiments with “let’s just put all our great rookies out there and see what happens”.

23 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

As I've said, I think Jones/Mancini/Hays will make a passable starting three.  I could be wrong though.  Mancini could of just been a flash in the pan, Jones' could really start showing his age, and Hays could be a total bust.  I don't think so though. I think there's a way higher chance our rotation is in the bottom 3-4 of the AL.  That's why I think the O's should focus on pitching. 

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

As I've said, I think Jones/Mancini/Hays will make a passable starting three.  I could be wrong though.  Mancini could of just been a flash in the pan, Jones' could really start showing his age, and Hays could be a total bust.  I don't think so though. I think there's a way higher chance our rotation is in the bottom 3-4 of the AL.  That's why I think the O's should focus on pitching. 

The Orioles can focus on both. Whether they choose to is another point entirely. Their pursuit of an everyday outfielder is still important. Hays is not the immediate answer.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

The Orioles can focus on both. Whether they choose to is another point entirely. Their pursuit of an everyday outfielder is still important. Hays is not the immediate answer.

I can't figure out how their search for an everyday outfielder has anything to do with someone who can no longer field his position and doesn't hit outside of Coors.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I can't figure out how their search for an everyday outfielder has anything to do with someone who can no longer field his position and doesn't hit outside of Coors.

I choose to believe his last two months are closer to his real value and can be had at a discount. I think he’s worth pursuit for a light contract.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

I choose to believe his last two months are closer to his real value and can be had at a discount. I think he’s worth pursuit for a light contract.

An outfield of Jones, Gonzalez and Mancini would make for a lot of chasing of baseballs that have already landed.

45 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Because otherwise we’re the Padres.

The Padres do inane experiments with “let’s just put all our great rookies out there and see what happens”.

And the Orioles do things like play "What washed up kinda-was is willing to take our money this offseason?".

4 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Mancini was an average starter last year in his breakout. I don’t have the expectations of superstardom so many in our fanbase do. I still see him as a tweener. Passably bad in the outfield but with enough bat to make him reasonably valuable. Not enough bat to be great at first. The discipline problems limit his ceiling.

Jones has already really started showing his age. He’s near the slowest center fielder in MLB. His defense has fallen off a cliff. He’s constantly banged up. While his offense bounced back a bit from 2016, it’s still pretty clearly declining.

Hays can’t be counted on for much at this point, and I have concerns about him long term either. He has the same plate discipline issues that plague seemingly every player that plays for this team.

Archived