Buy-low fourth starter candidates I like better than Cashner

Frobby

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Feldman would be such a DD move, but no, I do not think he would be better than Cashner, just cheaper and you get what you pay for.

Feldman is a Buck guy. When Buck was the Rangers manager,they wanted to send Feldman down. Buck liked his makeup and said don't sent him down to the minors.The Orioles had him once and I am not sure they will have him twice.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Cashner is top 6% MLB

Hmmm, a new toy!    I’m going to take these quality of pitch rankings with a huge grain of salt.    Here’s a chart showing the overall quality of pitches for every Oriole pitcher in 2017.    By that measure, our worst pitcher was....Mychal Givens.    Among our starters, the best quality of pitches was.....Wade Miley.    Ubaldo ranked above Bundy by a substantial margin.   Whatever they’re sellin’, I’m not buyin’.

2017-qopa-baltimore.pdf

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hmmm, a new toy!    I’m going to take these quality of pitch rankings with a huge grain of salt.    Here’s a chart showing the overall quality of pitches for every Oriole pitcher in 2017.    By that measure, our worst pitcher was....Mychal Givens.    Among our starters, the best quality of pitches was.....Wade Miley.    Ubaldo ranked above Bundy by a substantial margin.   Whatever they’re sellin’, I’m not buyin’.

2017-qopa-baltimore.pdf

MLB Network ran a segment with Carlos Pena extolling the virtues of this type of pitch evaluation. I. for one, do not think it is a stat. I think it is an opinion with data attached. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

MLB Network ran a segment with Carlos Pena extolling the virtues of this type of pitch evaluation. I. for one, do not think it is a stat. I think it is an opinion with data attached. 

I am filing this under:  Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.  This saying came about as a result of statistics being used to bolster weak arguments.  This may well be a textbook example.  At least based on what Frobby just showed...

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I am filing this under:  Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.  This saying came about as a result of statistics being used to bolster weak arguments.  This may well be a textbook example.  At least based on what Frobby just showed...

Defensive metrics.

Cashner can still touch 97 at times, based on some video I've seen of him last season. That's interesting. Spots a decent 94 mph fastball most of the time. The low strikeouts isn't what you want to see, but his velocity is good. I think we could do a lot worse. I don't like 3 years, but I'd jump at 2 years just to have a solid rotation foundation of Bundy, Gausman, Cashner. 

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

Cashner can still touch 97 at times, based on some video I've seen of him last season. That's interesting. Spots a decent 94 mph fastball most of the time. The low strikeouts isn't what you want to see, but his velocity is good. I think we could do a lot worse. I don't like 3 years, but I'd jump at 2 years just to have a solid rotation foundation of Bundy, Gausman, Cashner. 

I wouldn't be opposed to two years at a reasonable price, but I don't think that gets it done and that's where my problems lie. Like many, I fear Gallardo 2.0. Cashner is a fine No.4 or No.5 starter, but he's going to be paid more than other No.4, No.5 starters on the market. If I'm the Orioles and I don't fill the rotation via the Machado trade (or other trades), I'm looking more at Jamie Garcia and Miguel Gonzalez before Cashner. Of course, I'm also looking at Cobb or Lynn along with one of the other two and we'll probably end up with Cashner and Vargas so it really doesn't matter what I'm looking for....

I don't really see how Gallardo and Cashner are that similar. Gallardo had a shoulder injury which made his velocity top out at like, 86 on most nights. His changeup was like 83. 

I'm not saying Cashner would be markedly better than Gallardo, but he does have health and velocity on his side. Two things Gallardo did not. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't really see how Gallardo and Cashner are that similar. Gallardo had a shoulder injury which made his velocity top out at like, 86 on most nights. His changeup was like 83. 

I'm not saying Cashner would be markedly better than Gallardo, but he does have health and velocity on his side. Two things Gallardo did not. 

97 is 97. And Projection systems are just that. I can work with 97. 

Archived