Manny ranked the no. 8 3B “right now” by MLB Network; Beckham ranked no. 10 SS

Frobby

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

What if Manny is overrated? What are his weaknesses? 

Not great pitch selection.

Already had a major surgery that could catch up with him.

Ego?

Only 2 seasons over .800 ops, never over .900

Is he really worth 300 mil

Is there an over 100 million player who has no ego?   All stars have egos.  As do all people.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

The surgeries he has undergone are not the type to increase future risk.  They corrected a congenital issue, so if anything the surgeries increase his chances of being healthy going forward.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These lists are probably more rational than the so-called Shredder.    Still, they point up that Manny is not head and shoulders above everyone else.    There’s a ton of talent at 3B, which is another reason his trade value may not be as high as the Orioles had hoped.  

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am sure that plays a large part in Manny wanting to play SS this year.

But do we really believe there are seven other guys playing 3B that are better than Machado? I’ll take my chances with him.

28 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Ego?

Not to me. Of course I don't any player is.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

But do we really believe there are seven other guys playing 3B that are better than Machado? I’ll take my chances with him.

The “right now” part of the equation is important.   Is a guy like Justin Turner (.945 OPS, 5.7 rWAR last year, .881 OPS, 18.9 rWAR the past four seasons) better than Manny (.782 OPS, 3.5 rWAR last year, .828 OPS,  19.6 rWAR the past four seasons) “right now?”   You can make a pretty good argument that he is.    But who would you want the next four seasons?    The answer obviously is Manny.    

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am sure that plays a large part in Manny wanting to play SS this year.

Probably so. Just hope Buck isn't that stupid to cowtow to a players wishes. The team has a SS. Manny at 3rd is the best option the O's have. Team comes first. IMO 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Not really sure how the list was created, they have a panel of 3 guys and they each have Manny at #2, #5, and #7 respectively.

Here is the video I'm talking about.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/breaking-down-top-third-basemen/c-1872442283?tid=7417714

Edit: Worth watching the whole bit, they talk about Machado a lot.

Brian Kenny has ManNY 6th; Mike Lowell ranks him  7th;  Shredder has him 8th, Bill James (Red Sox advisor) says 10th,  and the fans rank him #2.

44 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Ego?

Manny is a really good player who is going to get massively overpaid. I would like to take what his trade value is right now, whatever that is, and let him sign for the highest bidder next year. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The “right now” part of the equation is important.   Is a guy like Justin Turner (.945 OPS, 5.7 rWAR last year, .881 OPS, 18.9 rWAR the past four seasons) better than Manny (.782 OPS, 3.5 rWAR last year, .828 OPS,  19.6 rWAR the past four seasons) “right now?”   You can make a pretty good argument that he is.    But who would you want the next four seasons?    The answer obviously is Manny.    

If it's just for next year, I'd probably only take Bryant and Donaldson over Manny.  Rendon would be close behind, as would Turner, Arenado, and Jose Ramirez.  Of course there are arguments you could make otherwise, but I think 2017 was a fluky drop in production for Manny and statcast data seems to back that up.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Brian Kenny has ManNY 6th; Mike Lowell ranks him  7th;  Shredder has him 8th and the fans rank him #2.

To clarify my original post, Ben Lindbergh has him at #2, Mike Petriello has him #5, and Vince Gennaro has him #7.

Archived