Hot Stove Event

weams

Orioles instructor and World Series hero McGregor special guest at annual Hot Stove Talk

A former World Series hero and current instructor in the Baltimore Orioles organization will highlight Zion Lutheran Church’s eighth annual Hot Stove Baseball Talk lineup at 7 p.m. Tuesday, January 30 in the church’s sanctuary, 2215 Brandywine Lane, York.

Former big-league lefty Scott McGregor is currently the Orioles’ pitching rehab coordinator, supervising injured pitchers at the organization’s spring training complex in Sarasota, Fla. In that capacity, he’s worked closely with many of the Orioles’ pitchers, including young right-handers Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey, among others.

A member of the Orioles’ Hall of Fame, McGregor spent 13 seasons in the majors, all with the Orioles. He is fourth in modern franchise history in games started and innings pitched and sixth in wins. He threw the final pitch to secure the Orioles’ last World Series title, part of his complete-game shutout in Game 5 of the 1983 World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Other speakers at the annual event include Mel Antonen, panelist for MASN Sports and contributor to MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM, and Dan Connolly, senior writer for BaltimoreBaseball.com and host of “The Baltimore Baseball Show,” on WOYK, 1350. The panelists will present their thoughts on the upcoming season – they’ll talk Orioles, Phillies and Major League Baseball -- and will answer questions from the audience.

There is no admission fee, but a freewill offering will be taken to benefit the church’s youth ministry program. All proceeds this year will assist the church in sending a contingent to the ELCA Youth Gathering this June in Houston. For more information on the Jan. 30 event, contact the church at 717-767-4673.

Dad has a signed McGregor jersey. Got it from Scott himself when he went in for treatment on a malignant tumor around 2002-2003. Talks time and time again how nice the higher ups like McGregor were and are, plus how the "Orioles family" helped take care of him. Would love to meet Scott someday and thank him for that kindness. 

17 hours ago, weams said:

Orioles instructor and World Series hero McGregor special guest at annual Hot Stove Talk
.  .  .  

He threw the final pitch to secure the Orioles’ last World Series title, part of his complete-game shutout in Game 5 of the 1983 World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies.

.  .   .

Throughout the aughts, it often occurred to me that the Orioles weren't likely to return to the World Series during my lifetime, and that I'd have to be content with the memory of that day at the Vet when McGregor pitched his five-hitter, Eddie (then my favorite Oriole) slugged two HRs, Joe Morgan fell down trying to tag up from third, and Cal caught the last out. I was the guy with the Orioles jacket, sitting down the RF line among a sea of Phillie fans who seemed madder at their own team than at the Orioles.. 

The feeling that I've seen my last Orioles World Series is back. It's hard to see this team returning to the post-season, let alone getting through to the Series, for a long time.

But that was only 34-plus years ago. It's been over 57 years since I watched my hometown Eagles edge the Packers to win their most recent NFL title on the Monday after Christmas, 1960. I would have been in the front row, and able to see without standing the whole game, if they hadn't put up temporary bleachers between the track and the brick wall at Franklin Field. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 5:01 PM, weams said:

A former World Series hero and current instructor in the Baltimore Orioles organization will highlight Zion Lutheran Church’s eighth annual Hot Stove Baseball Talk lineup at 7 p.m. Tuesday, January 30 in the church’s sanctuary, 2215 Brandywine Lane, York.

Former big-league lefty Scott McGregor is currently the Orioles’ pitching rehab coordinator, supervising injured pitchers at the organization’s spring training complex in Sarasota, Fla. In that capacity, he’s worked closely with many of the Orioles’ pitchers, including young right-handers Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey, among others.

A member of the Orioles’ Hall of Fame, McGregor spent 13 seasons in the majors, all with the Orioles. He is fourth in modern franchise history in games started and innings pitched and sixth in wins. He threw the final pitch to secure the Orioles’ last World Series title, part of his complete-game shutout in Game 5 of the 1983 World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Other speakers at the annual event include Mel Antonen, panelist for MASN Sports and contributor to MLB Network Radio on Sirius/XM, and Dan Connolly, senior writer for BaltimoreBaseball.com and host of “The Baltimore Baseball Show,” on WOYK, 1350. The panelists will present their thoughts on the upcoming season – they’ll talk Orioles, Phillies and Major League Baseball -- and will answer questions from the audience.

There is no admission fee, but a freewill offering will be taken to benefit the church’s youth ministry program. All proceeds this year will assist the church in sending a contingent to the ELCA Youth Gathering this June in Houston. For more information on the Jan. 30 event, contact the church at 717-767-4673.

Tonight

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

How so?   Did he have anything interesting to say?   

Sure. He talked about pitchers not throwing strikes.  He says that unfortunately, many pitchers do not have the confidence that they can get MLB batters out in the strike zone. He said at some point a pitcher needs to decide that if he is not good enough to do that he needs to go home and pack boxes or work at the gym with his friends.  

Scott spoke at length about not needing some of the statistics to see who has a good fastball and who has a great curveball. He specifically talked about some of the mental and commitment issues that some of our pitchers have had over the last decade.

McGregor mentioned Chris Tillman as one of the pitchers with Jake and Zach that just never seemed to get what pitching was all about but that he broke out of the pack and put several nice seasons together. Trusting his stuff and his defense well enough to pitch in Camden Yards. Which he says is very difficult.Dan and Scott discussed pillow contracts for pitchers and how Baltimore will never ever sign a pitcher to one.  Scott said that Chris Tillman has received interest on MiLB with invite deals from Toronto and Minnesota. 

He talked about how Jake Arrieta was a complete mess his final season with Baltimore, Overthinking everything and not even able to get AA  hitters out.  Making the exact say mistakes over and over. Scott said he told him that if he ever decided to just throw his fastball in the zone that he might have a chance. He was traded weeks later. 

Archived