Could DD be planning on 2 Arms?

pastorfan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

When the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised to see a rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Vargas, and Tillman. And it wouldn't shock me if they combined for 70 QS.

Honestly if Tillman rebounds and Vargas simply pitches to his career average that rotation might be pretty decent.  Cashner is a bit of a wild card. 

16 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Could DD simply be waiting for the asking prices to become reasonable and then strike to land two guys like a Cobb & Lynn? Next year there are some great position players who will be Free Agents, but not pitching. With teams trying to limit spending this year why not splurge for two such pitchers and then you could trade them after this year if you need to. The idea being that those teams willing to spend next year will not find much pitching on the market. Could this plan work?

Sure it could work...as long as the signed pitchers do not have any no-trade clauses. The Orioles might want to trade them in July, 2018 rather than waiting until after the season.

If you get stuck with a bum contract or an injured pitcher you get to run Ubaldo out there for four seasons.

Ubaldo was nearly traded in July, 2016. Pitching is in such critical demand, even Tillman has been linked to multiple teams after his woeful 2017 season. Sure, Cobb or Lynn could get injured, like any other pitcher (They All Break, right?). But it's even more likely they could just be traded if/when the Orioles decide it is time to do so.

8 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Sure it could work...as long as the signed pitchers do not have any no-trade clauses. The Orioles might want to trade them in July, 2018 rather than waiting until after the season.

Ubaldo was nearly traded in July, 2016. Pitching is in such critical demand, even Tillman has been linked to multiple teams after his woeful 2017 season. Sure, Cobb or Lynn could get injured, like any other pitcher (They All Break, right?). But it's even more likely they could just be traded if/when the Orioles decide it is time to do so.

Right, and that is all that I am suggesting. I'm just thinking that this could be a way to content this year and then if you need to rebuild you have quality pitchers to trade. Look, we don't go the international route and we haven't traded for prospects. I'm just suggesting some sort of plan, even if it is "out of the box." 

Chris Tillman is a possible signing as he remains on the free agent market and continues to work out at the Ed Smith Stadium complex, where Showalter spoke with him at the minicamp.

“You think that I spent three days down there in Sarasota and didn’t sit down with Chris at some point?” Showalter said. “He looks great. We had a choice to make. We didn’t have to let him work out at our complex. He’s a free agent. I know our people down there called and I said, ‘Oh yeah, let’s alienate somebody we might want back and tell him he can’t work out at our complex and keep an eye on him.’ That would be real smart. Just try not to catch all those fish every day.

“Chris looks good. I was talking to Brian Ebel about him today, our new head (athletic) trainer. That’s another process.”

Roch

14 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Honestly if Tillman rebounds and Vargas simply pitches to his career average that rotation might be pretty decent.  Cashner is a bit of a wild card. 

I don't expect Cashner to have a year like last year but I don't expect him to crash and burn either.

12 hours ago, interloper said:

Isn't that kind of against the rules? Buck talking to a free agent like that?

I hope it is not. I hope that there is the allowance of resources for unaffiliated former major league players to be allowed legally to work out at professional facilities where they are invited. Most any team would be totally cool with Tillman or any comparable MLB player working out at their facilities, if the player requested.

And like suggested above: why would not a team want to see first-hand how a pitcher is performing?

Archived