Dan talking "offers and physicals" with a RF target

interloper

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

What I said was "If they're going to move Jones, it should be for a good CFer.  From everything I've read and seen, I don't think Hays qualifies."  Even from your quote, it says about Hays, "aggressive nature may fit better in right field, average glove skills".  So using my criteria, Hays should be in RF.  And I've read elsewhere that Hays has only average speed.  He sounds like a RFer - not a CFer.  And as a rookie,  he's also likely going to make rookie type mistakes.  I don't think making a rookie RFer the starting CFer is a great idea.  Now, if Mullins makes the team and looks like he can hit ML pitching, yes - play Mullins in CF and move Jones to a corner.     

Hays is a better fit at RF.  Is he better in CF than Adam Jones is at this point? Probably a little bit. Is the difference enough to move Jones off the position? No.

To add, the knocks on Hays as a fielder are 1) He doesn't have the raw speed that good CFs have.  2) He's reckless, he takes good routes, but he tries to catch everything, sometimes that turns a single into a triple.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about Jones playing hurt is that he's hurt before the first homestand of the season is up most years. Seems like every year, within the first couple weeks, he's cringing on swing-and-misses or getting up slow after a dive/wall-crash. 

Love the guy, but him "playing hurt" is really just him playing normally. He's never not hurt, really.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

The thing about Jones playing hurt is that he's hurt before the first homestand of the season is up most years. Seems like every year, within the first couple weeks, he's cringing on swing-and-misses or getting up slow after a dive/wall-crash. 

Love the guy, but him "playing hurt" is really just him playing normally. He's never not hurt, really.

Couldn't agree more, sadly. It wouldn't shock me if Jones retires earlier than expected. Not that it'll be this year but I don't think he has more than a few years left, IMO, but I could definitely be wrong. He's getting up there as it is.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Hays is a better fit at RF.  Is he better in CF than Adam Jones is at this point? Probably a little bit. Is the difference enough to move Jones off the position? No.

To add, the knocks on Hays as a fielder are 1) He doesn't have the raw speed that good CFs have.  2) He's reckless, he takes good routes, but he tries to catch everything, sometimes that turns a single into a triple.

A little off-topic question, but would you say that DJ Stewart has the same defensive issues - only somewhat moreso on the negative - and is essentially a poor-man's Hays?  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

What I said was "If they're going to move Jones, it should be for a good CFer.  From everything I've read and seen, I don't think Hays qualifies."  Even from your quote, it says about Hays, "aggressive nature may fit better in right field, average glove skills".  So using my criteria, Hays should be in RF.  And I've read elsewhere that Hays has only average speed.  He sounds like a RFer - not a CFer.  And as a rookie,  he's also likely going to make rookie type mistakes.  I don't think making a rookie RFer the starting CFer is a great idea.  Now, if Mullins makes the team and looks like he can hit ML pitching, yes - play Mullins in CF and move Jones to a corner.     

Edit - it was mentioned in another thread that Keith Law has Hays as only a 45 for speed.  

I’m not ignoring the statement about his ‘aggressive style playing better in RF’, but you’re parsing the report if you don’t see he’s perfectly capable of playing all three spots at an above average level. 

And he’s been rated 55 for speed by just about everyone, Law is entitled to his opinion.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m not ignoring the statement about his ‘aggressive style playing better in RF’, but you’re parsing the report if you don’t see he’s perfectly capable of playing all three spots at an above average level. 

And he’s been rated 55 for speed by just about everyone, Law is entitled to his opinion.

Agree to disagree.  It said he could hold up in CF.  That's definitely not saying he could be above average there.  And the part I quoted was right on point.  

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Tony had him at 50 now and 45 in the future.   I really don’t see him as “above average” in CF.    That’s not a knock on the guy; if you can hit well and play a capable, average CF, that’s a huge plus.   

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

A little off-topic question, but would you say that DJ Stewart has the same defensive issues - only somewhat moreso on the negative - and is essentially a poor-man's Hays?  

Not really, Stewart takes questionable routes at times, but has a great first step and covers ground.  He's not reckless,  where Stewart falls short is that he just has a fringe average arm, that falls to below average if his feet aren't set. That's what limits him to LF. I'm honestly not sure that Hays is faster than him. It's close, although I'd expect him to lose more speed sooner than Hays.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Edit - it was mentioned in another thread that Keith Law has Hays as only a 45 for speed.  

Law also exclaims “Can’t Catch!”

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Not really, Stewart takes questionable routes at times, but has a great first step and covers ground.  He's not reckless,  where Stewart falls short is that he just has a fringe average arm, that falls to below average if his feet aren't set. That's what limits him to LF. I'm honestly not sure that Hays is faster than him. It's close, although I'd expect him to lose more speed sooner than Hays.

Fair enough - I'd seen him badly over-run a couple of plays in the OF and thought of him when you described Hays.  Glad to hear that you don't think that's an issue with him.   

7 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

Couldn't agree more, sadly. It wouldn't shock me if Jones retires earlier than expected. Not that it'll be this year but I don't think he has more than a few years left, IMO, but I could definitely be wrong. He's getting up there as it is.

Getting up there sounds weird to a fan that's 69 when a player is 32 or 33. I understand what you mean though. I wish he would be the RF for a season or two then  retire. I do like AJ. 

Archived