Bud Norris and Defined Roles

Just Regular

Like many a struggling starter, Bud Norris was better out of the pen last year and even compiled 19 saves.  He's a free agent probably looking at a 1 year deal for not much.

He has cache as part of the recent Orioles winning tradition.  Relievers can be creatures of habit with their roles, and everybody kind of has known who they are behind Britton.  In real life, I see him as the same kind of pitcher as Mychal Givens just not as good - fastball, slider, death to righties and platoon issues.  Him compiling Orioles first half saves could keep costs down through Givens's arbitration and if we end up winning any of Brach's free agent years.  Would you consider him as Britton's body double and placeholder to let everyone else keep their traditional roles if he were available for a sub-Granderson contract?

12 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Like many a struggling starter, Bud Norris was better out of the pen last year and even compiled 19 saves.  He's a free agent probably looking at a 1 year deal for not much.

He has cache as part of the recent Orioles winning tradition.  Relievers can be creatures of habit with their roles, and everybody kind of has known who they are behind Britton.  In real life, I see him as the same kind of pitcher as Mychal Givens just not as good - fastball, slider, death to righties and platoon issues.  Him compiling Orioles first half saves could keep costs down through Givens's arbitration and if we end up winning any of Brach's free agent years.  Would you consider him as Britton's body double and placeholder to let everyone else keep their traditional roles if he were available for a sub-Granderson contract?

I will pass.  And pass on Brach's free agent years too.    Trade him yesterday (obviously not happening), trade him at the deadline (likely not happening) let him walk for nothing as free agent (most likely outcome since this is what we do now).  

• 1 month later...

Archived