Orioles Tides

MDtransplant757

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

darrylstrawberry.jpg

o

Tidewater was with the Mets then.  Darryl Strawberry played with a distant relative/longtime family friend on this team in 1983.  This was quite a time.  Between 83 an 89, I saw the following:

Pitchers:  Dwight Gooden (after his early years on rehab), Randy Myers, David Cone, Rick Aguilera, Sid Fernandez, Ron Darling.

Also Randy Milligan (Current Oriole Scout) John Gibbons (Mgr Toronto) Clint Hurdle (Mgr Pittsburgh) Ron Gardenhire (Mgr Tirgers) along with Lee Mazilli, Wally Backman, Kevn Elster, and Mookie Wilson.  

In addition, the 83 team was managed by Davey Johnson and the 86 team was managed by Sam Perlozzo.  From 87-89 my distant relative/family friend had the helm.

That is a lot of talent to see run through an organization.  Also saw quite a few names with the Richmond Braves over the years....but that is another story.

On 1/23/2018 at 2:03 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

http://wavy.com/2018/01/23/tides-orioles-exhibition-game-set-for-march-26-at-harbor-park/

Orioles are coming to Norfolk in March. I'll be going, just like last year. Met @NashLumberand his lovely wife last year. PM me if you'd like to meet up for the ballgame. Tickets go on sale March 3rd at 10 AM

Gonna try to make it. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll know more by the weekend (payday). 

22 hours ago, foxfield said:

Tidewater was with the Mets then.  Darryl Strawberry played with a distant relative/longtime family friend on this team in 1983.  This was quite a time.  Between 83 an 89, I saw the following:

Pitchers:  Dwight Gooden (after his early years on rehab), Randy Myers, David Cone, Rick Aguilera, Sid Fernandez, Ron Darling.

Also Randy Milligan (Current Oriole Scout) John Gibbons (Mgr Toronto) Clint Hurdle (Mgr Pittsburgh) Ron Gardenhire (Mgr Tirgers) along with Lee Mazilli, Wally Backman, Kevn Elster, and Mookie Wilson.  

In addition, the 83 team was managed by Davey Johnson and the 86 team was managed by Sam Perlozzo.  From 87-89 my distant relative/family friend had the helm.

That is a lot of talent to see run through an organization.  Also saw quite a few names with the Richmond Braves over the years....but that is another story.

There was a bit of bad blood between the Tides (when Mets affiliate) and the Durham Bulls in the late 90s, early 2000s, if I recall the era correctly. Twice, I remember brawls happening at the Bulls ballpark. And I think another scuffle  happened outside near the buses. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2018 at 8:24 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

It’s over a month away. No rush 

Hey man, thought I’d get back to you (tix on sale in the morning). We are going to have to miss this year’s exhibition game. We got offered some gigs in England in September and it’s going to take every penny we have to get the whole family band plus my wife there. Cutting back in a lot of places. 

Just now, NashLumber said:

Hey man, thought I’d get back to you (tix on sale in the morning). We are going to have to miss this year’s exhibition game. We got offered some gigs in England in September and it’s going to take every penny we have to get the whole family band plus my wife there. Cutting back in a lot of places. 

While that kind of stinks, you guys are going to England. I can't get mad at you and that amazing opportunity. Be safe in England. Western Europe isn't as nice as it once was. 

18 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

While that kind of stinks, you guys are going to England. I can't get mad at you and that amazing opportunity. Be safe in England. Western Europe isn't as nice as it once was. 

Thanks. We’ll be over there a week and are playing sort of the area east of Wales (Shrewsbury), maybe Liverpool and Birmingham, too. And London on our last night there. Not only will it be our first out of the country gig for our family rock trio, but our first one even out of state. 

Archived