If Mussina gets the HOF nod tonight...

SteveA

...do you think a sizable contingent of people from Baltimore will make the trip? 

Just curious.

Keep in mind that the very next weekend, the NFL HOF is having its inductions and it's almost certain that Ray Lewis will be inducted.

And did Moose ever really become a Yankee fan favorite?

I tend to think that there won't be a large passionate fanbase from either team at a Mussina induction.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

...do you think a sizable contingent of people from Baltimore will make the trip? 

Just curious.

Keep in mind that the very next weekend, the NFL HOF is having its inductions and it's almost certain that Ray Lewis will be inducted.

I tend to think that there won't be a large passionate fanbase from either team at a Mussina induction.

What hat will he be wearing?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Just curious.

Let him go in a Yankee. Personally I don't care. 

Even for those fans who don’t hold his departure for the Yankees against him, Mussina doesn’t inspire fan worship similar to the other HOFers who primarily wore the black and orange.   I don’t think he’d draw a big Baltimore contingent.    

21 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I would be surprised if he went in as an O and I would like him immeasurably more. He has not displayed much warmth towards the organization, imo.

Quite honestly, I don't think he is a "warm" kind of guy.   Never saw him express any more warmth for the Yankees than he did for the Orioles.

In the big picture, he is just another Yankee.  Not revered by the press or fans.   I think it would mean a lot more to O's fans if he went in as an Oriole.

5 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

Or get a statue at Camden Yards, if he entered the Hall as an Orioles?  The other six Oriole HOFs have both retired jerseys and statues.

My bet is no.  

Yes. If he goes in as an Oriole, he gets both a statue and a retired number. I think his number should probably be retired as it is, but I think you have to give a statue if he goes in as an Oriole, right? That's the criteria for the statues currently in place. If I were Mussina, I'd feel slighted if I got into the Hall and went in as an Oriole and didn't get a statue, regardless of how the relationship with the team ended during his playing days.

All of that said, he goes in with a Yankee cap and none of this matters.

Archived