Should we stay close to our computers today?

weams

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milwaukee had a clear need to improve its rotation when the winter started, particularly given uncertainty surrounding righty Jimmy Nelson. The organization has decided first to improve the outfield, though that could all be part of a plan to move other assets for starting pitching. Santana and Phillips could both be hotly pursued assets, with a variety of teams — the Athletics, Braves, and Rays all make some degree of sense on paper — potentially representing suitors with some pitching on offer.

As much as the signing could mean for the trade market, it’s a welcome sign for players anxiously watching a slow-motion free agent period. In MLBTR’s top 50 free agent ranking, we predicted that Cain would secure $70MM over four years, so this represents a strong contract for the excellent but soon-to-be 32-year-old outfielder.

MLBTR

Competition for Pitching pieces. 

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can I go to BrewerFest tomorrow instead?

I would go . This Roch article sounds like they like no one or can't afford no one. Maybe a ploy to get prices down . A former Oriole marketing guy now a professor was on 105.7 the Fan said Orioles attendance will be bad in April. Low teens for many games and if they get off to a bad start then attendance will tank. At least something to look forward too. The super blue blood moon.

As the offseason moves closer toward the date when pitchers and catchers report to spring training, the Orioles haven’t been able to find starters on the free agent market who are within their price range or don’t pose a risk of flunking the physical.

I’ve written that the club expressed concerns over the medicals on multiple starters, further thinning out a crop that doesn’t impress beyond the upper tier. They’re not “in on” Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta and don’t expect Alex Cobb or Lance Lynn to settle for less than four guaranteed years.

Though Andrew Cashner and left-hander Jason Vargas attracted interest, the Orioles don’t appear to be in the thick of the competition for their services. And this is the point where I float the reminder that anything can change with one phone call. I’m just taking the temperature on Jan. 26.

The internal debate regarding Chris Tillman is ongoing, with the supporters believing that he’s the perfect bounceback candidate and the detractors mindful that the club couldn’t get him on track last summer through 19 starts and five relief opportunities.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/notes-on-starting-pitching-market-contract-talks-and-more.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/01/26/how-and-where-to-see-the-super-blue-blood-moon-of-2018/?utm_term=.e2d9cc8ed611

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can I go to BrewerFest tomorrow instead?

Yes, as Oriole fans we have never ever had a day like that in any offseason.   

Too bad after getting within a few wins of the World Series in 2014, this management not only did not have a Brewers style improvement, they let the team deteriorate in the offseason.   And now having finished in last place, they are having another do nothing offseason.  Boring and not going to sell many tickets. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, as Oriole fans we have never ever had a day like that in any offseason.   

Too bad after getting within a few wins of the World Series in 2014, this management not only did not have a Brewers style improvement, they let the team deteriorate in the offseason.   And now having finished in last place, they are having another do nothing offseason.  Boring and not going to sell many tickets. 

At this point there is really nothing to get excited about. Even some of the young talent will be jacked around, and may be nowhere to be found on opening day. I still look forward to baseball...I just wish they had been a bit more proactive.

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Same.  Also O's need to choose a path.  Go all in like the Brewers or do a rebuild and trade away your valuable assets.  

They can't go all in because: 

1) They don't have the minor league talent depth (like the Brewers) to trade for studs.

2) They are unwilling to give long term deals to starting pitchers. 

In my mind their only choice is to linger in .500 purgatory or rebuild. That's why I'm such an advocate of trading Machado (if he won't resign). 

8 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Exactly this.

I’m not aware of a team for which he does make sense. Yankees? Sure, but they’re not dumb and they know they can probably sign him next year.

The Orioles waited too long.

You guys needs to start thinking of Machado as a SS. That's where he wants to play, and if a team trades for him, that's where they'll need to play him to have a shot at signing him long term.  In my mind these are the only teams who would view their current SS as a bette option than Machado. Ignoring financial constraints nearly every other team is in play. There's no reason the Orioles can't make this happen if they're truly all in, in terms of trading him. Unfortunately, I don't believe they are. 

Turner (Nats)

Correa (Astros)

Lindor (Indians) - but they could use him at 3b.

Seager (Dodgers)

Andrus (Rangers) - not better, but good enough. 

29 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Brewers did a good job by turning in Johnathon Lecroy career season  with a month and a year left on his contract into a prospect like Brinson and then moving him as main piece to get a future star in Yelich

Yep.  We are entirely incapable of that and usually do the opposite.

Archived