Tim Beckham is saying and doing all the right things

Frobby

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/18/2018 at 10:54 AM, Frobby said:

If true, what does that say about our team?

I don't think it necessarily says anything bad about the team. Snatching a potential well-above average position player out of thin air for just one short-season prospect is akin to successful alchemy. Tobias Myers is legit prospect and performed exceptionally in 2017, but lacks wow stuff or great pedigree and you just don't get cheap, controllable regulars for that type of prospect. So Tim Beckham is exciting, if he shows that his first full season is a near representation of his true talent, that significantly improves the Orioles organizational assets. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think it necessarily says anything bad about the team. Snatching a potential well-above average position player out of thin air for just one short-season prospect is akin to successful alchemy. Tobias Myers is legit prospect and performed exceptionally in 2017, but lacks wow stuff or great pedigree and you just don't get cheap, controllable regulars for that type of prospect. So Tim Beckham is exciting, if he shows that his first full season is a near representation of his true talent, that significantly improves the Orioles organizational assets. 

I’m just talking about the suggestion that Tim Beckham is the biggest reason for optimism about our team.   Not debating the merits of the trade that brought him here.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just talking about the suggestion that Tim Beckham is the biggest reason for optimism about our team.   Not debating the merits of the trade that brought him here.    

I know, but my point is if that trade hadn't of happened, I'd be in a far worse place in terms of optimism. 

Saying all the right things, huh? That didn't last long.

“If you give me the opportunity to play every day, I think I’m the best shortstop in baseball,” Beckham said this month after a workout on the back fields behind Ed Smith Stadium.  -- New York Times February 26, 2018

False bravado? Looks like a dig at the Orioles organization to me. I don't like it.

Or worse, maybe Beckham lacks self-awareness. Does he not critically review game video? Ten years of professional baseball and his footwork is still not as good as many of the best high school shortstops. Maybe the reason his fundamentals are sloppy is that he never dedicated himself to working hard enough through all those years in the minors to improve. Why would he have to when he is "the best shortstop in baseball?"

Starting to sound like Tampa Beckham: arrogant, delusional and pissed off.

Reminds me of when Joe Flacco made a big media kerfuffle when he said he thought of himself as the best QB in football.  These guys have egos.......it's part of what makes them successful.  I'd be curious to know what the question was Beckham was answering here.

If this is a regular thing I'll be concerned, but so far I think this is kinda meh.  I want all of the Orioles to have high self-confidence.  He's not directly disparaging a teammate or anything, although I guess you could spin it that way.

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Reminds me of when Joe Flacco made a big media kerfuffle when he said he thought of himself as the best QB in football.  These guys have egos.......it's part of what makes them successful.  I'd be curious to know what the question was Beckham was answering here.

If this is a regular thing I'll be concerned, but so far I think this is kinda meh.  I want all of the Orioles to have high self-confidence.  He's not directly disparaging a teammate or anything, although I guess you could spin it that way.

I agree with this. I'd also be interested in knowing if we're talking about defense only or all around. I don't have a problem if my third baseman thinks he's the best all-around shortstop in baseball. I do have a problem if he's holding a grudge and dogging because he's not playing where he wants. Given his career path, I'd expect he'd be glad to get everyday at bats. (Though I wouldn't be opposed to a move that bumps him to a utility role though I would expect him to be upset about that and wouldn't exactly blame him).

32 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

False bravado? Looks like a dig at the Orioles organization to me. I don't like it.

Or worse, maybe Beckham lacks self-awareness. Does he not critically review game video? Ten years of professional baseball and his footwork is still not as good as many of the best high school shortstops. Maybe the reason his fundamentals are sloppy is that he never dedicated himself to working hard enough through all those years in the minors to improve. Why would he have to when he is "the best shortstop in baseball?"

Bonds had those same three qualities...so I don't mind as long as he hits like Bonds!

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Edit: Nevermind. Missed your citation.  

I read the article and I didn't hear any anger other than the chip on his shoulder from not meeting the expectations of being the number one draft pick. I certainly didn't read any digs at the Orioles organization. He made it clear he was thankful to get a shot to play every day and not get benched if he went 0 for 4. 

How did you get all this from that one quote? From all reports, Beckham has been working hard at his defense with the Orioles.

I don't mind the guy having confidence in himself. It certainly doesn't mean he's not putting in the work.

Archived