O's utility infielder no longer needs to play SS

wildcard

6 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The logic behind this post escapes me. Machado and Beckham were both on the team last year and I don't see how them swapping primary positions changes or effects what the team needs out of a utility infielder. 

Agreed.   And if they didn’t want Manny moving around in case of injury to Hardy, why would they want Beckham moving around in case of injury to Manny?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying that Manny is going to be 2014 Jeter at short.  But I do think Manny is significantly older and larger since he played short and I don't recall him being projected as a gold glove type at short.

His defense was rated All Star quality in some reports (maybe most or all?). His range was often ranked as average ML, but his arm was rated very highly along with baseball acumen and all that jazz. He was rated best defensive SS at least once as a minor leaguer. 

p.s. I'm not a huge fan of the move, but it will at least provide something of interest during a season where it looks like the Orioles are going to get their brains beat out on a regular basis. I'm intrigued by how Manny will respond. He has many millions of reasons to prove himself after last year as well as pride. It will be interesting, for sure. 

2 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

I think Manny gets a better jump on the ball, I think his range will surprise you at short, I don't think he will play 'big and slow' like some think. Range head to head vs. Beck, I think it's pretty close. I think there will be some balls Manny gets to that Beckham wouldn't honestly. I'm no sabermetrics guy so there might be a million numbers that say I will be wrong but just saying what I think.

I agree. Manny will get to as many if not more balls than Cal did and Cal was a way better SS than Beckham.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.   And if they didn’t want Manny moving around in case of injury to Hardy, why would they want Beckham moving around in case of injury to Manny?

They probably don't . Which is why they are looking for a UTIF who can play SS.

26 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

His defense was rated All Star quality in some reports (maybe most or all?). His range was often ranked as average ML, but his arm was rated very highly along with baseball acumen and all that jazz. He was rated best defensive SS at least once as a minor leaguer. 

I don't recall that.  I'm not saying he was projected to be a poor SS but I remember reading folks would think he would eventually outgrow the position...and move to third.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/3/3/2834760/prospect-smackdown-battle-of-the-shortstops-manny-machado-vs

He's still growing and filling out and it is easy to visualize him getting to 6-4, 210, possibly outgrowing shortstop as he matures. Right now he still has the range for the position and a strong throwing arm, and in the short run at least he can remain up the middle, although third base might be his destination in the long run

Scouting report from when he was in HS:

mannyscouting3_r40lkv0a.jpg

17 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If it's harder how come they moved CAl to 3B?

Dont be a clown.

Cal was a HOF, all-star and very skilled pro player.

Some guys are more skilled to handle the hot-corner than SS, and vice versa.

Some guys can't play 3rd very well, we as Os fans should remember the ones here before Manny's arrival.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Dont be a clown.

Cal was a HOF, all-star and very skilled pro player.

Some guys are more skilled to handle the hot-corner than SS, and vice versa.

Some guys can't play 3rd very well, we as Os fans should remember the ones here before Manny's arrival.

I can't remember any of those who moved there from SS. And Call didn't have the range of Beckham .  And dont be a d%$#k.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I can't remember any of those who moved there from SS. And Call didn't have the range of Beckham .  And dont be a d%$#k.

I remember why I had you in the penalty box, and why you need to go back in there.

But, Cal had a very strong and accurate arm, which Beckham doesn't.

Cal was also know to barehand balls to save time, and something that normally you see more of at 3rd, then you do short.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember why I had you in the penalty box, and why you need to go back in there.

But, Cal had a very strong and accurate arm, which Beckham doesn't.

Cal was also know to barehand balls to save time, and something that normally you see more of at 3rd, then you do short.

I'll take you seriously when you learn to write simple grammatically correct sentences.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Your another one. Geez did you take English in elementary  school?

I said from the first year I posted on the OH that if any one wanted the job of correcting my posts the job is open.  But it  is a full time position.   People general understand what I mean.  They may not like it or agree with it but they understand what I am saying most of the time.

Archived