Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

Just now, MikeAD said:

Youre right, Im sorry.  The Red Sox and Yankees could have historic collapses along with Houston and the adjusted Cleveland, Twins, and Angels could all fail to mesh.  If all that happens and Toronto and Texas take enormous steps back we might be able to fight Tampa and Seattle for the last Wild Card spot.  But thats only if the carousel of minor league pitching can somehow cobble together enough starts to even get that far. 

I am not actually writing off the season anything can happen, but the Orioles failed in a major way this off season.  Not moving Jones, Manny, Britton and Brach will be catastrophic looking back.  We had a few good years but incompetence won out.  We could put it all together this year and win the damned World Series, it wont make the future any brighter if these changes arent made.  

I get the frustration and lack of activity.

But, baseball is a very funny game of inches its way too.

Heck, wasn't that long ago, Britton was not a lock to even make the 25 man roster, comes in after the off-season, and the rest is history.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Youre right, Im sorry.  The Red Sox and Yankees could have historic collapses along with Houston and the adjusted Cleveland, Twins, and Angels could all fail to mesh.  If all that happens and Toronto and Texas take enormous steps back we might be able to fight Tampa and Seattle for the last Wild Card spot.  But thats only if the carousel of minor league pitching can somehow cobble together enough starts to even get that far. 

I am not actually writing off the season anything can happen, but the Orioles failed in a major way this off season.  Not moving Jones, Manny, Britton and Brach will be catastrophic looking back.  We had a few good years but incompetence won out.  We could put it all together this year and win the damned World Series, it wont make the future any brighter if these changes arent made.  

They tried to trade Britton at the trade deadline but the medical staff vetoed the trade.  Made sense to see if he improved during spring training so you could trade him for higher returns.  Machado can be traded at the trade deadline if the team falters.  You will actually have more teams willing to trade for Manny then. If they trade for Manny now it will cost 16 million dollars in salary. If the wait until trade deadline his remaining salary will be much lower.   That is of course if he gets back on track. If he has a poor season you won't get much for him.  

Just now, cimota said:

They tried to trade Britton at the trade deadline but the medical staff vetoed the trade.  Made sense to see if he improved during spring training so you could trade him for higher returns.  Machado can be traded at the trade deadline if the team falters.  You will actually have more teams willing to trade for Manny then. If they trade for Manny now it will cost 16 million dollars in salary. If the wait until trade deadline his remaining salary will be much lower.   That is of course if he gets back on track. If he has a poor season you won't get much for him.  

That way of thinking goes both ways.  What if having Manny for the entire season wins you a game or two extra in a tight race?

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

That way of thinking goes both ways.  What if having Manny for the entire season wins you a game or two extra in a tight race?

Well if you don't have 16 million extra dollars in your budget it means nothing.  

59 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

There are an awful lot of people still unsigned by any teams...declaring failure seems premature, even if it seems likely.  Your negativity would be better phrased if it said...the Orioles are failing or seem to be failing.  Again, it just spooks me when folks say incompetence wins out....we have seen incompetence. This is dysfunctional.  There is huge difference.

And this time last year I believe most folks had crowned the Boston Red Sox as the team to beat.  What with all those Cy Young winners.  How'd that go?

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

There are an awful lot of people still unsigned by any teams...declaring failure seems premature, even if it seems likely.  Your negativity would be better phrased if it said...the Orioles are failing or seem to be failing.  Again, it just spooks me when folks say incompetence wins out....we have seen incompetence. This is dysfunctional.  There is huge difference.

And this time last year I believe most folks had crowned the Boston Red Sox as the team to beat.  What with all those Cy Young winners.  How'd that go?

There aren’t available players we could find to compete . If we signed the top five available free agents we wouldn’t compete. the team won’t trade those players.  That’s a failure. Its massive and many people here refuse to understand the hole this is putting  the franchise in. That’s what I’m saying. But yes we should hope for the possibility. Yes I’m hopeful we get Trout production out of replacement level players.  this isn’t dysfunction. It’s incompetnce. Year after year with no vision. No look to the future. The Davis and trumbo signings scream thst. We thought we could compete with players that aren’t as good as our competition and while our competition loaded up on young talent and added MLB talent we stuck to our players until they were gone. Call it whatever you want. It’s pathetic. The more people line up to put butts in seats the worse it’s going to get. 

10 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

There aren’t available players we could find to compete . If we signed the top five available free agents we wouldn’t compete. the team won’t trade those players.  That’s a failure. Its massive and many people here refuse to understand the hole this is putting  the franchise in. That’s what I’m saying. But yes we should hope for the possibility. Yes I’m hopeful we get Trout production out of replacement level players.  this isn’t dysfunction. It’s incompetnce. Year after year with no vision. No look to the future. The Davis and trumbo signings scream thst. We thought we could compete with players that aren’t as good as our competition and while our competition loaded up on young talent and added MLB talent we stuck to our players until they were gone. Call it whatever you want. It’s pathetic. The more people line up to put butts in seats the worse it’s going to get. 

If the cause is so lost why do you care enough to post about the team?  I mean the team isn't depressing.  If we don't sign any pitchers we will lose a lot of games but we will get to see what Hays and Cisco bring to the table.  We will pick near the top of the draft next year plus possibly get another pick for Machado.  Seems like the guys scouting these days are better than the ones in the olden days.  

Some teams have to lose.  Combined record of every team is .500.  

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Mike?  Top 5 FA Left wouldn't make us competitive?  The hole?  Well there is almost no one in the organization under contract after this season.....I'd call it a near clean slate. Replacement level players?  Manny? Schoop? 

I will agree that signing Davis and Trumbo screamed incompetence, but not for signing them really but the process and the oh, I don't know...Trumbo could still turn out, to be honest...but frankly both of them are examples of the DYSFUNCTION I spoke of even if they do spell incompetence to you.

Go look at the roster from say 2009.  Now THAT is a roster full of replacement level players.  Well specifically its a roster a team of replacement level players would destroy.  But that is MY point.  We have screwed up an opportunity to grab the brass ring.  But the same roster was in the thick of things through the summer last year before collapsing.  It's not as dark as you think, but this I promise you.

The Orioles are better than the Marlins... ;) 

• Orioles second baseman Jonathan Schoop will have his arbitration hearing Feb. 8, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com tweets. After enjoying a career season in 2017, the 26-year-old requested a $9MM salary, while the Orioles offered $7.5MM. There has reportedly been some discord between the two sides in salary negotiations, which could bode poorly for the Orioles’ chances of keeping Schoop past 2019 – his final year of arb eligibility.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/al-notes-red-sox-os-schoop-as-maxwell-twins.html

On 1/31/2018 at 1:45 PM, foxfield said:

They won the division. The playoffs are a crap shoot, but finishing first is a good way to enter into them. I would settle for finishing in first place.

49 minutes ago, weams said:

I don’t get the thinking with the Orioles. They should just trade these guys off for hope in the future.

Pissing this guy off over 1.5 million is idiotic. Lowering the chances of an extension plus Manny leaving.

Eithet extend him or trade him now! The are simply repeating the Manny mistake again.

The illusion that they think they can complete and old guys in denial (Buck, Duquette, and Sneaky Pete.

Hopefully the inevitable change at the top will bring change on many fronts 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t get the thinking with the Orioles. They should just trade these guys off for hope in the future.

Pissing this guy off over 1.5 million is idiotic. Lowering the chances of an extension plus Manny leaving.

Eithet extend him or trade him now! The are simply repeating the Manny mistake again.

The illusion that they think they can complete and old guys in denial (Buck, Duquette, and Sneaky Pete.

Hopefully the inevitable change at the top will bring change on many fronts 

I think they are attempting to force the extension now. Just my two cents. While there is still a bit of leverage.  This is all agent and Management stuff anyway. You think bubbly Jon Schoop holds any grudges?

On 1/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, foxfield said:

Mike?  Top 5 FA Left wouldn't make us competitive?  The hole?  Well there is almost no one in the organization under contract after this season.....I'd call it a near clean slate. Replacement level players?  Manny? Schoop? 

I will agree that signing Davis and Trumbo screamed incompetence, but not for signing them really but the process and the oh, I don't know...Trumbo could still turn out, to be honest...but frankly both of them are examples of the DYSFUNCTION I spoke of even if they do spell incompetence to you.

Go look at the roster from say 2009.  Now THAT is a roster full of replacement level players.  Well specifically its a roster a team of replacement level players would destroy.  But that is MY point.  We have screwed up an opportunity to grab the brass ring.  But the same roster was in the thick of things through the summer last year before collapsing.  It's not as dark as you think, but this I promise you.

The Orioles are better than the Marlins... ;) 

It is, of course, much easier to see the errors in hindsight.  For me, it was the offseason after we won the division in 2014 that permanently soured me on whomever (Angelos or Duquette or Brady/Buck two headed dragon decision maker swami) is/was making the decisions.   That was when the brass ring was at its closest, nearest, brassiest since 1983.   And as soon as they announced that offseason that there is, of course, no way they could even think of keeping Andrew Miller and replaced him with Wesley Wright, when they of course said there is no way they could bid for a once in a decade guy like Max Scherzer,, let's just let the Nationals sign him....well, that was pretty much the end of any true belief on my part that this decision making group was serious about World Series aspirations, in my view, for this otherwise talented core.   Their aim all along has to be "competitive" and maybe get lucky in the playoffs  not "all in"- not then and certainly not for 2018.    We will be nowhere near the team of 2014 no matter what we add in between now and opening day.   Time for a complete rebuild, either now or after three or four more years of losing. 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is, of course, much easier to see the errors in hindsight.  For me, it was the offseason after we won the division in 2014 that permanently soured me on whomever (Angelos or Duquette or Brady/Buck two headed dragon decision maker swami) is/was making the decisions.   That was when the brass ring was at its closest, nearest, brassiest since 1983.   And as soon as they announced that offseason that there is, of course, no way they could even think of keeping Andrew Miller and replaced him with Wesley Wright, when they of course said there is no way they could bid for a once in a decade guy like Max Scherzer,, let's just let the Nationals sign him....well, that was pretty much the end of any true belief on my part that this decision making group was serious about World Series aspirations, in my view, for this otherwise talented core.   Their aim all along has to be "competitive" and maybe get lucky in the playoffs  not "all in"- not then and certainly not for 2018.    We will be nowhere near the team of 2014 no matter what we add in between now and opening day.   Time for a complete rebuild, either now or after three or four more years of losing. 

I wonder if they were financially able to compete with clubs like the Nationals. I think the base wealth of the ownership group is much more flimsy. 

Archived