In on Lynn?

Snutchy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, weams said:

Does Lynn cost a pick? If so, no. God no.

Might agree under different circumstances, but the team isn't rebuilding. If they hope to compete, they have to be willing to sacrifice more picks. Dan hasn't been shy about doing it, and of course that sucks. Nobody likes giving up picks. 

That said, from a purely life-enjoyment perspective, I don't want to watch 3/5 of the rotation in flames all year. That's not a good use of my time. Sign some pitchers and try to have a good team this year. If that's what their goal is, lean into the goal, don't sit on the fence and tell fans you're going to be competitive with Castro, Asher, Ynoa, et al in the rotation. That's insulting.

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Might agree under different circumstances, but the team isn't rebuilding. If they hope to compete, they have to be willing to sacrifice more picks. Dan hasn't been shy about doing it, and of course that sucks. Nobody likes giving up picks. 

That said, from a purely life-enjoyment perspective, I don't want to watch 3/5 of the rotation in flames all year. That's not a good use of my time. Sign some pitchers and try to have a good team this year. If that's what their goal is, lean into the goal, don't sit on the fence and tell fans you're going to be competitive with Castro, Asher, Ynoa, et al in the rotation. That's insulting.

I agree.   If they want to rebuild, fine, I’d be down with that.    But if we’re keeping the lineup and bullpen intact, then go get some starters or what’s the point?

Top free agent starter Yu Darvish is sitting on multiple five-year offers, per Nightengale. At the moment, he’s still hoping an organization will decide to give him an extra year — or, in a longer-shot scenario, that the Dodgers or Yankees will find a way to move other contracts to open the door to a Darvish signing. For the most part, this seems to represent a continuation of the status quo, as is the case for the other top starters.

MLBTR

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Is next year's class weak compared to this year?  Keuchal, Pomeranz, Gonzalez, Corbin, likely Kershaw, and possibly Price.

You are correct. I should have clarified that I am under the "assumption" that Kershaw will remain in LA and Price will not opt out due to arm issues. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lynn threw 81% fastballs last year. I don’t think that will fly in the AL East. 

If Lynn has good command, why not? He could probably bring it down to 75% and still be effective. Wasnt there an A's starter last year who threw over 80% sinkers/FB's?

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If Lynn has good command, why not? He could probably bring it down to 75% and still be effective. Wasnt there an A's starter last year who threw over 80% sinkers/FB's?

There's quite the stadium and marine layer issue.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I mean, I think we're going to have some level of concern for any pitcher the Orioles do sign (if any), just because Lynn is sort of the best that we can expect. 

I get the pitcher free agency is risky, but it's kind of their only choice. I don't know how they can back themselves into this corner and yet balk at going 4 years. Yet here we are.

Couldn't agree more. Lynn signing for Ubaldo money would be a great start. It would also probably attract other FA's, or make it easier to sign a second pitcher before they all get snapped up. We'll need to add at least two starters, I'd imagine... from outside the organization. Anyway... 

Archived