Now Weiters HAS to be promoted...

Runs2the1Show

This was said about Weiters on BA's baseball hot sheet.

The Scoop: This may be remembered as the week that Carolina League pitchers finally waved a white flag to Wieters. Pitchers simply decided to not let the league's best hitter beat them, so they have resorted to pitching around him, as evidenced by his five walks in two games. Who can blame them, as when he sees a pitch he can hit, it's often leaving the park.

It's not a question of whether Matt Wieters will make it the big leagues. It's simply a question of how soon? At this rate it'll be here before you know it. Wieters has been one of the surest bets when it comes to making the Hot Sheet, and this past week may rival his previous rankings.

Oh and just to show that he's versatile, Wieters also laid down a perfect sacrifice bunt this week. He's a great power hitter who's also unselfish; we like to honor that on the Hot Sheet.

He clearly has NOTHING left to prove at high A. I would expect him to be promoted in the next week or so. If pitchers wont even throw to him, what is that doing for his development? He was #1 on the hot sheet by the way.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2008/266328.html

After the All-Star break Wieters will be in Bowie, end of discussion.

I don't think he'll ever step foot in Norfolk, or AAA for that matter. He's going to do what Markakis did in '05. A half year in Frederick, a half year in Bowie, and then start the next season in Baltimore as a starter.

I don't think he'll ever step foot in Norfolk, or AAA for that matter. He's going to do what Markakis did in '05. A half year in Frederick, a half year in Bowie, and then start the next season in Baltimore as a starter.

Will his battery mate be joining him?

I was just going to say that. :) I heard that last night at the game. er..what was the game.

If he's never gonna step foot in Norfolk, I would certainly HOPE that he doesn't step foot in AAA. :D

If he hits well in Bowie the O's will be sorely, sorely tempted to give him a September call up.

Although, I'm not opposed to that in the slightest. If he does well, why not?

If he hits well in Bowie the O's will be sorely, sorely tempted to give him a September call up.

The main reason to not give him a September call up is for 40-man reasons. Even if the Orioles have every intention of giving him the job next year, they don't need to put him on the 40-man until next spring. This opens up a space on the 40-man for someone else that will need to be protected this offseason.

Just a quick look, but I believe David Hernandez, Brad Bergesen, Chorye Spoone, Nolan Reimold and Mike Costanzo will have to be protected.

Now, if the Orioles can clear enough room that they won't lose one of these guys, then there should be no problems with a September call up, but they really will have to look over the roster and make some decisions.

There are two reasons not to do it:

1. It's his first full season, and he will be awfully tired after playing more than double the number of games he is used to playing by the end of August.

2. To call him up, he has to be placed on the 40-man roster, which gives the Orioles less flexibilty to protect someone else from the Rule 5 draft. It also means the O's have to use one of his options if they send him back to the minors after spring training next year.

I'm not saying those two reasons are sufficient not to call him up. But, they factor in. For example, the O's didn't call up Nick Markakis at the end of the 2005 season after he put up a .939 OPS in 6 weeks at Bowie, probably due to the desire to keep him off the 40-man roster until it was necessary.

At the same time, if Wieters dominates at AA the way he has at Frederick, I agree it would be very, very tempting to get a sneak preview of what he can do at the major league level.

My first time getting a good look at this guy at Frederick yesterday - double header. H*ly sh*t! This guy is the real deal. As I watched him in pregame warmups, I realized that he is not a baseball player, he is a weapon. That should be his nickname. The Weapon. I just want to float that out here to you guys. The Weapon. Come one, you love it, don't you?

Anyway, just watching him just walking around, I was reminded of that guy in "Predator." Well, no, I don't mean one of the guys, I mean the Predator guy himself. Just huge, hulking, menacing, and supremely confident. He looked great with the bat, too. Has a really sweet, smooth swing. Thought immediately of Ken Singleton when I saw him swing. Couple of K's in the first game, but man, they were pretty impressive K's. Couple of singles for the night, but they were pretty impressive singles. Both of the balls he smacked are right now pretty sorry that they were born balls. Got to be hurting. He also showed a pretty good arm, gunning one base runner down in the first, and doing a nice middle in a 1-2-3 double play. Pretty mobile behind the plate, too, pretty active. Loewen said that Wieters (and Arrieta) will be going to Bowie, but after the All Star Game. My guy at St Stephens and St Agnes has confirmed that.

Archived