What if Arrieta falls to the O's?

wildcard

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You said he didn't want to give up young guys.  Picks are young guys.

Where do picks come into this situation? I just suggested that signing a an available free agent is a better option than trading for a pitcher. I understand picks are young guys but not young guys that we've already developed/in the process of developing. Plus we can't possibly lose our top pick if we were to obtain one of the aforementioned players anyway.

6 minutes ago, orange23 said:

Where do picks come into this situation? I just suggested that signing a an available free agent is a better option than trading for a pitcher.

Those guys turned down qualifying offers so that means the Orioles would lose their 3rd highest pick if they signed one of them. (Their third highest pick is their 2nd round pick due to the competitive balance pick they are getting after the first round).

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Those guys turned down qualifying offers so that means the Orioles would lose their 3rd highest pick if they signed one of them. (Their third highest pick is their 2nd round pick due to the competitive balance pick they are getting after the first round).

I understand that but I was referring to the young guys we already have in our system. We can't lose our top pick so I'm not really going to stress over a 2nd round pick if we sign a pitcher than works out over the next couple years.

1 minute ago, orange23 said:

I understand that but I was referring to the young guys we already have in our system. We can't lose our top pick so I'm not really going to stress over a 2nd round pick if we sign a pitcher than works out over the next couple years.

But they don’t. Free agent pitchers. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

But they don’t. Free agent pitchers. 

This is true historically. I'd rather have some hope than go into the season with Mike Wright who we already know will disappoint us. But then again, I hope he would prove me wrong if that were the case.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

Well there’s your problem. If you suffer from disappointment, your expectations are too high.

Well that's the thing, I'm already aware of the potential disappointment. That's why I would love for the Duquette to find a way around it. They've done a pretty good job of proving the PECOTA projections wrong over the past six years. Why not this year too?

10 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

The Orioles will not pursue Arrieta. Also, he is no "bargain" at $20MM. And his diminished velocity suggests there is a medical problem.

He has not had his Tommy John yet and last time they were in there they remove that globular mass. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I believe that the competitive balance pick isn't counted for that and they would lose their third round pick.

53 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I believe that the competitive balance pick isn't counted for that and they would lose their third round pick.

“Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2018 Rule 4 Draft would lose its third-round pick. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-round pick.”

This is from MLB.com

Here is the link to the full article,

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

“Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the 2018 Rule 4 Draft would lose its third-round pick. A team with two first-round picks and one pick in each subsequent round would lose its second-round pick.”

This is from MLB.com

Here is the link to the full article,

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

Thanks.  This is what I thought originally and 3 or 4 weeks ago it was reported nationally that the competitive balance picks don't count.  This was from a reputable source.  Seems to me it was directly from MLB.  Wish I could remember exactly.  It was discussed at length here.

Archived