Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

48 minutes ago, theobird said:

Yeah. Manny for Andujar, Montgomery and the rights to Mesa and Cortes.

I don’t think the Yankees can just cede the rights to Mesa and Cortes.    As Rule 5 draftees, they’d have to be put through waivers and go unclaimed before the Yankees could trade their rights to us.    Of course, Mesa might pass through, as he wasn’t picked until the third round of the Rule 5 draft, so every other team passed on him twice.   But Cortes might well have been on other teams’ radar.   

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'm thinking trade. Oderizzi makes sense to me. We have surplus OF/DH/1B bats that they need. I like McHugh but I don't want to give up Givens,. We need a strong pen.

I'm not one for hypothetical trades usually, but I'm feelin' it today..

What about Mike Montgomery with the Cubs? Lefty, desire to start, been very solid overall. I say, Manny for Mike Montgomery and Addison Russell. Maybe we'd have to throw in a prospect? 

1 minute ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

What about Mike Montgomery with the Cubs? Lefty, desire to start, been very solid overall. I say, Manny for Mike Montgomery and Addison Russell. Maybe we'd have to throw in a prospect? 

I seriously doubt PA will allow any Manny trade.

3 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I would be for this trade, but I'd doubt the Cubs would do it unless you are throwing in a pretty good prospect.  We would have control over both of those guys through 2021.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the Yankees can just cede the rights to Mesa and Cortes.    As Rule 5 draftees, they’d have to be put through waivers and go unclaimed before the Yankees could trade their rights to us.    Of course, Mesa might pass through, as he wasn’t picked until the third round of the Rule 5 draft, so every other team passed on him twice.   But Cortes might well have been on other teams’ radar.   

You are correct. They are not Yankee property to control again until put through a waiver process and fee paid. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

add this to the long list of reasons why the Orioles should just suck up their egos, trade Manny to the Yankees, and try their best to raid their system.

No.  If Manny goes to the Yanks it'll be all on him.  Would never trade a generational talent to a division rival.

I guess I'd think about it if the deal was an internet special - so lopsided that only a messageboard would propose it.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No.  If Manny goes to the Yanks it'll be all on him.  Would never trade a generational talent to a division rival.

I guess I'd think about it if the deal was an internet special - so lopsided that only a messageboard would propose it.

I get what you're saying, and I would hate to see Manny go to the Yankees and have to face him for the next ten years.  However, I think it's something to consider if they are willing to trade 3-4 high-rated, young, controllable pieces.  Better than losing Manny for nothing, which will happen next year.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

I get what you're saying, and I would hate to see Manny go to the Yankees and have to face him for the next ten years.  However, I think it's something to consider if they are willing to trade 3-4 high-rated, young, controllable pieces.  Better than losing Manny for nothing, which will happen next year.

Why would they do that if they can just sign him next year?

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Why would they do that if they can just sign him next year?

To avoid getting into a bidding war and/or losing him to another team.  They get him for this season, a year where they are clearly pot committed, and get a full year to negotiate with him.

13 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

To avoid getting into a bidding war and/or losing him to another team.  They get him for this season, a year where they are clearly pot committed, and get a full year to negotiate with him.

Meh. He's going to test the market whatever.

Archived