Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I mean, uhh, o.O

Hey the dude made no fewer than FIVE starts at AA last year.  

Numbers look solid, that means he's def ready for primetime right?

I guess throwing no more than 84 innings in a season might be seen as an obstacle for some.........

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

The complaints about signing Tillman are
1. MLB contract
2. Guaranteed rotation spot
3. Guaranteed salary of $6MM or more

I don't think anyone would be complaining if they sign Tillman to a minor league deal.

I wish for new blood on the team. I would rather Tillman be in the rear view mirror of the O's. So yes i am opposed to even a minor league deal for Tillman. 

I don't really understand all of the hate towards Tillman. The guy was a solid pitcher for us for 4-5 years, and only one year removed from a 16-6 season and 3.77 era. Yes, last year he looked awful, but injuries played into that. I would absolutely love to have him be our #3 starter if he can put up number like he did in 2016. The guy is 29 years old and now healthy. Why all the hate for a one year pillow contract that hardly costs us anything?

Well, I for one am excited for Mesa, Jr. to have a chance at all. I like the big kid, think he has potential. Now that said, no team that thinks its going to contend in the AL East goes into spring training with two rule 5 guys battling for a rotation spot. But I am long past that. We are not going to contend in 2018. I just wish that we could whole heartedly embrace that fact and give a whole bunch of kids with upside a shot right now. The time is here to rebuild, and maybe they will the whole while saying we are contenders.

13 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

I don't really understand all of the hate towards Tillman. The guy was a solid pitcher for us for 4-5 years, and only one year removed from a 16-6 season and 3.77 era. Yes, last year he looked awful, but injuries played into that. I would absolutely love to have him be our #3 starter if he can put up number like he did in 2016. The guy is 29 years old and now healthy. Why all the hate for a one year pillow contract that hardly costs us anything?

Chris Tillman is as fine a young man as I have met through the MLB. If he is not healthy or is unsuccessful on a rebuilding value contract he would be immensely valuable to the young staff in mentoring and life guidence.  He'll be worth his new money just for that.  If he is on a "make good" and is not "good" you would not see him on the mound every fifth day. You just would not. It's a different scenario than last season on his FA year. 

12 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

I think because he has become a symbol of our seemingly lazy FO.

I think most people here (including myself) would be happy to bring Tillman back on a cheap contract to compete for the 5th starter role. I also think most of those same people are understandably wary about the continuation of his struggles. And that they look at the current desolation in our rotation, combined with the decent quality of other options still available on the FA market, and think, "Is this really all we're doing?"

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think because he has become a symbol of our seemingly lazy FO.

I think most people here (including myself) would be happy to bring Tillman back on a cheap contract to compete for the 5th starter role. I also think most of those same people are understandably wary about the continuation of his struggles. And that they look at the current desolation in our rotation, combined with the decent quality of other options still available on the FA market, and think, "Is this really all we're doing?"

You also have folks worried that since it is Tillman he'll make the team no matter how bad he looks and that Buck will keep running him out there long after the plug should be pulled.

29 minutes ago, weams said:

Chris Tillman is as fine a young man as I have met through the MLB. If he is not healthy or is unsuccessful on a rebuilding value contract he would be immensely valuable to the young staff in mentoring and life guidence.  He'll be worth his new money just for that.  If he is on a "make good" and is not "good" you would not see him on the mound every fifth day. You just would not. It's a different scenario than last season on his FA year. 

That's what I would HOPE.

But Buck's history of being loyal to "his guys" concerns me.   To me, the ONLY negative about Tillman on a minor league contract is if he says he is feeling no pain, Buck will trot him out there a long time no matter how he is performing.

Edit:  And as soon as I post this I read further in the thread and see that Corn already made the exact same point.   One of these days I'll learn to read a thread to the end to make sure someone hasn't already said exactly what I'm about to say.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

That's what I would HOPE.

But Buck's history of being loyal to "his guys" concerns me.   To me, the ONLY negative about Tillman on a minor league contract is if he says he is feeling no pain, Buck will trot him out there a long time no matter how he is performing.

Edit:  And as soon as I post this I read further in the thread and see that Corn already made the exact same point.   One of these days I'll learn to read a thread to the end to make sure someone hasn't already said exactly what I'm about to say.

I mean it's not like there's a precedent for tha.... oh, wait...

Archived