Orioles Spring Training: 10 Things To Watch

Luke-OH

New article up, just talking about some non-depressing things to look for in spring training. There are tons of other things to look for, hard to choose just ten, even focusing on prospects and unproven players (that includes Beckham at 3B and Castro as a SP). Please share what you'll be watching for.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/02/14/orioles-spring-training-10-things-watch/

My appetite is whetted.    As to Sisco, how hard is it to learn good footwork behind the plate, and if he hasn’t learned it by now after more than 3,000 pro innings behind home plate, is it realistic to think he can still learn it?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My appetite is whetted.    As to Sisco, how hard is it to learn good footwork behind the plate, and if he hasn’t learned it by now after more than 3,000 pro innings behind home plate, is it realistic to think he can still learn it?

That’s a good question, I’m not sure if it’s going to improve, but I do know learning a skill even in pro ball isn’t necessarily a linear path. Lots of people telling you lots of often different things thinking they are the one who can fix you.

Kind of a long video but worth a watch. He’s talking about hitting coaches but the same thing applies for fielding or pitching instruction as well. 

All I know about Sisco is there aren’t physical limitations, he’s agile and athletic enough and has enough arm to be an ok catch and throw guy. He hasn’t achieved that yet and may never get there.

Good article.

I'm actually pretty interested in one that you didn't put in there.

The Rule 5 battle. Unless he completely tanks, Santander should be here for his 44-46 days needed. Add in 3 pitchers battling for, what could be, just 1 spot? I think that could be a good battle.

As far as Sisco...I think you know how outspoken I am about his defense. :leaving:

Looking forward to Mullins this Spring and seeing if last year was a fluke (I think not.) Also want to see what he can do when fully healthy. Should be fun to watch!

I'm interested in everything xD but I almost look forward to seeing where the young guys start out more than anything once they are assigned. Who will start in Frederick vs Bowie vs Norfolk etc. I love checking box scores every morning from down on the farm and trying to follow our minor league guys, I've come to enjoy it just as much as following/watching the Orioles at this point. And in no way do I mean that as a dig toward the MLB team or anything, I bleed baseball. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

How many innings did Steve Clevinger have under his belt, when he went back to AAA, and worked hard at improving his catcher skills, so that he could play for Buck in the bigs?

Archived