O's only team that says they need to add starters

wildcard

As I look around the league the stance that most every team but the O's is taking is that the are fine to go into the season with what they have in the rotation.  The O's are the only team that says they need to add starters.  The Brewers, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Yankees, Cards, Nats and Twins all seem to say they will go with what they have unless a good deal comes their way.   This is, of course, to get Cobb, Lynn and Arrieta to lower their asking price.   When they do teams will jump into the negotiations for them.   But right now  it seems only the O's are saying they need to add starters

I am not talking about Tillman and similar pitchers.  The O's, Tigers and a few others are interested in a low cost deal for Tillman.   What I am talking about is the top of the FA starter market.   It appears that the teams have stopped chasing the top FA pitchers and are waiting for the pitchers demands to come down.

This is a little surprising because after Darvish signed on Feb 10th it appeared that Cobb and Lynn would sign soon.  But here we are 9 days later.

If you are seeing something different please point me to the article.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post isn't to say the O's would sign any of the top three FA starters.  I am just pointing out that the other teams are backing off to wait for them to bring their price down.     Its an observation after reading articles about where each team stands with their rotation.

The O's self imposed 3 year contract will keep them at a disadvantage. 

Just now, Aglets said:

If we get Cobb or Lynn I'll be very pleasantly surprised.  I think both get at least 4 years so that (in theory) means we have no shot.

And I agreed with you right up until the Twins traded for Odoizzi and the Brewers GM said he was fine going into the season with his current rotation.   That changes the landscape a bit.

Yea I thought the Twins were a lock for one of the remaining big names. The Odorizzi deal definitely changes that. 

The Brewers have already picked up a bunch of “candidates”. Don’t they have Miley and Gallardo and like four other guys competing for the last two rotation spots or so?

I could still see the Phillies swooping in. The NL East is so bad. Only the Nats are projected to finish above .500. Why not try to speed up your rebuild in that division.

5 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Yea I thought the Twins were a lock for one of the remaining big names. The Odorizzi deal definitely changes that. 

The Brewers have already picked up a bunch of “candidates”. Don’t they have Miley and Gallardo and like four other guys competing for the last two rotation spots or so?

I could still see the Phillies swooping in. The NL East is so bad. Only the Nats are projected to finish above .500. Why not try to speed up your rebuild in that division.

I'd take a bet with even odds that the Twins still sign one of the Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn group. Odorizzi is only making 6M, they still need rotation help, and they look to be at a point on the win curve where any improvement would pay big dividends to their chances of making the postseason.

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'd take a bet with even odds that the Twins still sign one of the Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn group. Odorizzi is only making 6M, they still need rotation help, and they look to be at a point on the win curve where any improvement would pay big dividends to their chances of making the postseason.

My post is not about what the other teams will do, its about what they are saying.

Star Tribune:

Other starting options remain on the free-agent market, such as righthanders JakeArrieta, Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb. But indications are that the Twins are done adding to the staff, unless they are presented with something they can’t pass up.

“I would think so,” Falvey replied when asked if he thought he had enough arms for the rotation.

http://www.startribune.com/jake-odorizzi-fills-a-need-for-twins-just-not-biggest-one/474439293/

That could be a negotiating tactic.  Who knows.

Eh, we also really haven't said we need starters.  We kind of piss around the toilet on that one.  We say we are looking for the right fit which means we aren't looking at the top pitcher list.  No front office is going to flat out say "nope, sorry, we won't sign any of these players but hope to do well in the draft after a 64 win season"  

David Stern, Brewers GM:

"I think our stance is that if we can make an acquisition that we think can meaningfully upgrade the team at a responsible investment level, that's something we're open to," Stearns said. "But we also firmly have confidence in the group we have, and think that there is a relatively high bar to get above."

As the Brewers examine any potential acquisition, general manager David Stearns said, "there's a balance of what the acquisition cost is and then whether we think that player is an upgrade. If he is an upgrade, how much? That is really the equation we're working through. That's true with any of the guys we are considering bringing in."

https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-gm-david-stearns-talks-jake-odorizzi/c-266694470

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This post isn't to say the O's would sign any of the top three FA starters.  I am just pointing out that the other teams are backing off to wait for them to bring their price down.     Its an observation after reading articles about where each team stands with their rotation.

The O's self imposed 3 year contract will keep them at a disadvantage. 

Has Dan or Angelos ever confirmed that there is now some fixed 3year hard, rigid, unchangeable rule?  Or is this just the general baseball blog board speculation based on him signing Ubaldo and thinking that he must have been so burned by that he has now turned to Dan and said “Never again, Daniel!”

I think the old man goes this way and that way...probably won’t do a four year deal, but he might.  I sure as heck don’t know how he thinks about these things.  Only insiders do.  And I suspect, like other people, occasionally he changes his mind and does something different...

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

As I look around the league the stance that most every team but the O's is taking is that the are fine to go into the season with what they have in the rotation.  The O's are the only team that says they need to add starters.  The Brewers, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Yankees, Cards, Nats and Twins all seem to say they will go with what they have unless a good deal comes their way.   This is, of course, to get Cobb, Lynn and Arrieta to lower their asking price.   When they do teams will jump into the negotiations for them.   But right now  it seems only the O's are saying they need to add starters

I am not talking about Tillman and similar pitchers.  The O's, Tigers and a few others are interested in a low cost deal for Tillman.   What I am talking about is the top of the FA starter market.   It appears that the teams have stopped chasing the top FA pitchers and are waiting for the pitchers demands to come down.

This is a little surprising because after Darvish signed on Feb 10th it appeared that Cobb and Lynn would sign soon.  But here we are 9 days later.

If you are seeing something different please point me to the article.

I wish I could see the world through your orange tinted glasses. I'm sure it's much better then the one in which I live.  

Archived