Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

Looks like getting close to a deal. 

With the number of left-handed-hitting outfielders available on the free-agent market dwindling, the Orioles have turned their focus to a potential deal with veteran outfielder Colby Rasmus, according to an industry source.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-rasmus-20180221-story.html

And this:

One possibility the Orioles continue to show interest in is right-hander Scott Feldman, who was 7-7 with a 4.77 ERA in 21 starts with the Cincinnati Reds last year. The former Oriole had a 3.78 ERA over his first 17 starts, including nine quality starts over that span, before he was slowed by knee problems that ultimately sidelined him and led to offseason surgery.

Even if Feldman, 35, doesn’t crack the team’s Opening Day starting rotation, he could be a valuable long-relief arm, a need the club now has with Miguel Castro projected to become a starter. Before Castro excelled last season in middle relief, the Orioles desperately needed a pitcher who could provide a bridge between short starts and the late-inning relievers. Castro did a remarkable job of that in the second half of last season, but early in the season, many games fell apart because middle relievers couldn’t keep them close.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-morning-20180220-story.html

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Feldman is exactly the kind of band-aid that this organization likes to slap on gaping wounds (starting pitching). On a minor league deal, fine, but this team needs to knock it off with half measures.

Gaping wounds or minor cuts like LH hitting OF. Enough with the Colby Rasmus talk already.  

I guess DD & Co. think power and low OBP is undervalued in the market? Maybe Jon Jay has no interest in us but I am tired of the HR or nothing guys up and down the line up. And yet we are looking to add more because they are cheap. 

It's funny now too. We can't even say that the team can't afford to assemble a good team. It's how the money is spent that is mind boggling (Davis, Trumbo). And then we look to find more guys like them.. 

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A platoon left-handed hitter, Rasmus has power and speed.   But he is not a high OBP guy.  He is kind of like Forrest Gump.   He can run fast but the crowd has to yell stop or he will run out of the park and not come back.

Colby is not a good clubhouse guy and been a problem child for managers.

I dont see Buck agreeing to this.

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Feldman is exactly the kind of band-aid that this organization likes to slap on gaping wounds (starting pitching). On a minor league deal, fine, but this team needs to knock it off with half measures.

If it is a one year deal for low amount of dollars who cares?  

2 minutes ago, cimota said:

If it is a one year deal for low amount of dollars who cares?  

I'd rather not guarantee him a 25-man roster spot right out of the gate. That last rotation spot should either go to someone like Lynn or to someone like Cortes, not to another middling veteran right-hander. 

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like getting close to a deal. 

With the number of left-handed-hitting outfielders available on the free-agent market dwindling, the Orioles have turned their focus to a potential deal with veteran outfielder Colby Rasmus, according to an industry source.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-rasmus-20180221-story.html

And this:

One possibility the Orioles continue to show interest in is right-hander Scott Feldman, who was 7-7 with a 4.77 ERA in 21 starts with the Cincinnati Reds last year. The former Oriole had a 3.78 ERA over his first 17 starts, including nine quality starts over that span, before he was slowed by knee problems that ultimately sidelined him and led to offseason surgery.

Even if Feldman, 35, doesn’t crack the team’s Opening Day starting rotation, he could be a valuable long-relief arm, a need the club now has with Miguel Castro projected to become a starter. Before Castro excelled last season in middle relief, the Orioles desperately needed a pitcher who could provide a bridge between short starts and the late-inning relievers. Castro did a remarkable job of that in the second half of last season, but early in the season, many games fell apart because middle relievers couldn’t keep them close.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-morning-20180220-story.html

Let's hope these reports are false. Colby is allegedly an attitude problem, not to mention not much a player anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I really don't want Rasmus.  More low OBP, high K, and mediocre defense.  Then add the character concerns.  This off season just keeps getting worse.

Rasmus' defense has rated mostly positively by most measures. 

I'd be fine with Rasmus competing for a spot but I do think Jon Jay is a more preferable fit for us. Is he really much more expensive?

Archived