Firstbaseman Needed

weams

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think so.    He’s got to work with the fact that they’re on the team under long term deals.   It’s not personal loyalty, it’s dealing with reality. 

To me it isn't about playing them, but about signing them, to long term deals in the first place.  I would imagine Buck lobbied for CD and Trumbo to return.

55 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

To me it isn't about playing them, but about signing them, to long term deals in the first place.  I would imagine Buck lobbied for CD and Trumbo to return.

He may have, I don’t know.    But they hadn’t been unproductive at the time they were signed.    The issue was whether their production would continue.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He may have, I don’t know.    But they hadn’t been unproductive at the time they were signed.    The issue was whether their production would continue.   

Davis had been valuable, Trumbo, not really.  Not to the point where you would want to invest in a three year deal.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis had been valuable, Trumbo, not really.  Not to the point where you would want to invest in a three year deal.

Plowing old ground here. I liked Trumbo more than most. But to me the peculiar aspect of signing Trumbo was that we were already obligated to a first baseman for the life of his contract. It's hard to imagine the Orioles were planning to put Trumbo (or Davis) in the OF -- though when they signed Trumbo I figured Davis was deaded for RF -- so they must have thought they were signing a full-time DH.

Not a smart way for a resource-limited team to spend money. That, and what I've read about Brady's role in the Trumbo contract, is why I feel pretty confident this was not Duquette's call. But we'll probably never know.

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Why would anyone trade for Mark Trumbo when they could sign Mark Reynolds, Lucas Duda, or Adam Lind on a one year deal? That's a rhetorical question, because they wouldn't. We're stuck with Trumbo. It's time to come to terms with that fact. 

THIS!

I agree 100%. It seems like a Mark Reynolds match would be the most likely as a case could be made for the need of a RHH to platoon with Ford until Healy gets back.

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

He may. But to me that's a mistake on Bucks part. We don't need both those players on the O's. In my mind of thought we don't need either one of them on the team. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Not a smart way for a resource-limited team to spend money. That, and what I've read about Brady's role in the Trumbo contract, is why I feel pretty confident this was not Duquette's call. But we'll probably never know.

I am not willing to give the GM a pass every time we make a bad signing by sloughing it off on someone else.    

Archived