Lynn or Cobb? Who is your first choice?

orioles4lyfe

Who would you want the O's to sign between Lynn and Cobb  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want the O's to sign between Lynn and Cobb

• Lynn
    • Cobb

16 minutes ago, orioles4lyfe said:

Arietta has been connected to the Phils and I believe the Nats. I think he'll end up with the Phils. The Yanks are probably staying put, aren't they close to the luxury tax? They'll probably make a trade deadline addition if need be. I'm worried about the Brewers (they had an offer out to Darvish), then Nats/Rangers in that order. 

The Twins seem to be going all in, not sure if they can afford Cobb/Lynn. I get the feeling that the Nats might sign Arrietta, but not one of the other two--but I have no proof. Brewers probably are a serious threat. If we can get three years and under 50 m we have to go for it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, oriole said:

I'm a sucker for AL east experience. Plus Lynn has pitched exclusively in the NL in a pitchers park. Career 2.85 ERA at home and 3.90 away. 

Not they best statistic to cite as an example. Cobb's career splits are 2.46 home / 4.72 away. Even worse than Lynn's splits. Also the Trop and Busch Stadium ranked 6 and 7 in terms of runs scored per game last year, so I'm not sure the "pitchers park" argument holds up either. 

I like Cobb because he is AL East battle tested.

Career splits vs AL East:

Red Sox:  14 games, 3.43 ERA in 81.1 IP, 1.254 WHIP, 6.4 K/9
Yankees:   14 games, 2.99 ERA in 90.1 IP, 0.996 WHIP, 6.5 K/9
Blue Jays:  8 games, 3.23 ERA in 47.1 IP, 1.056 WHIP, 7.2 K/9
Orioles:  12 games, 2.70 ERA in 73.1 IP, 1.200 WHIP, 8.2 K/9

3 minutes ago, riprulz8 said:

I like Cobb because he is AL East battle tested.

Career splits vs AL East:

Red Sox:  14 games, 3.43 ERA in 81.1 IP, 1.254 WHIP, 6.4 K/9
Yankees:   14 games, 2.99 ERA in 90.1 IP, 0.996 WHIP, 6.5 K/9
Blue Jays:  8 games, 3.23 ERA in 47.1 IP, 1.056 WHIP, 7.2 K/9
Orioles:  12 games, 2.70 ERA in 73.1 IP, 1.200 WHIP, 8.2 K/9

Well someone is lighting him up because his career "away" era is 4.72.

I think that makes me lean a little more towards Cobb but I'm concerned that Cobb's K rate has dropped dramatically from 8 to 6.5.  I guess that will still play.    A 1.22 WHIP in the AL east like he had last year is definitely solid and he's been doing that for most of his career.

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I think that makes me lean a little more towards Cobb but I'm concerned that Cobb's K rate has dropped dramatically from 8 to 6.5.  I guess that will still play.    A 1.22 WHIP in the AL east like he had last year is definitely solid and he's been doing that for most of his career.

I honestly think it's a coin flip. Lynn strikes out more, but walks more. I think the takeaway is that when you look beyond the stats like ERA neither of these pitchers is deserving of 4, 5, 6 year contract...despite what Scott "the antichrist" Boras says/thinks. 

Archived