Our old friend JTrea is very concerned about Brady

Aglets

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Well the only thing I can say about Mike Wright is. I wish they would have let Jake Arrieta be himself. O's often try to fix things before they see if it worked in the first place. They've been doing it with pitchers at least since Pete Harnisch. One of the dumbest things I can think of is telling a pitcher to lose his out pitch. Also see Ben McDonald.

I always thought Ben McDonald's problem was LSU pitched him until his arm nearly fell off.  

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I always thought Ben McDonald's problem was LSU pitched him until his arm nearly fell off.  

While I do think you are correct with that point. Ben McDonald's short career could have had a lot to do with that.

They also told him to do away with the split finger fastball. Which was believed to mess up a guys arm at the time. I believe it is no worse than a curve ball.

Even though there is no way to know either way. I'm always of the opinion that you let a guy go with what got him there until he shows he can't advance any further.

15 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

While I do think you are correct with that point. Ben McDonald's short career could have had a lot to do with that.

They also told him to do away with the split finger fastball. Which was believed to mess up a guys arm at the time. I believe it is no worse than a curve ball.

Even though there is no way to know either way. I'm always of the opinion that you let a guy go with what got him there until he shows he can't advance any further.

Pretty sure he had the hands to deal with throwing the splint finger.

BpBAnjHCIAEbEqI.jpg

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is Sports Guy's page.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/profile/12055-sports-guy/

I don't think you were ever posting here at the same time.

What I don't remember is a good COC v SG takedown discussion.  That would've been something to behold!  Maybe it happened and I missed it. 

Pretty sure MDT is thinking of CS.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn’t on this site when he was here, but I’ve seen him on Twitter, initially I agreed with some of his more sensible takes (like too much being made of TTTP by Buck) but it didn’t take long to realize even his most sensible takes (which are few), he’s far from sensible in the way he expresses them. He’s also a Manny basher, and he only knows enough about advanced metrics to get himself in trouble by using them to jump to poorly reasoned conclusions. He’s also constantly making personal attacks on the players or coaches he dislikes which is in poor taste.

With JTrea I sometimes used the quote (attributed to Bill James, but he may have been borrowing it) that he uses statistics like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

2 minutes ago, murph said:

What I don't remember is a good COC v SG takedown discussion.  That would've been something to behold!  Maybe it happened and I missed it. 

Pretty sure MDT is thinking of CS.

Oh they happened.  On this board and another.

Bob remembers I am sure.

SG had a habit of resorting to name calling when losing an argument.

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Didn't Ben have a college World Series game where he pitched 11 innings on two days rest or some such thing?  I could be misremembering, but this was the 1980s.  A few years later I personally witnessed a Virginia Tech game where Brad Clontz (future Braves sidearming reliever) threw a complete game in something like a 20-13 win.  Pitch counts are for commies and hippies.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Bob remembers I am sure.

Would have been surprised if it hadn't.  I either missed it or don't remember.  I do remember your early days, you were a bit more brusque, which would have added to the entertainment.  :D

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bob remembers I am sure.

SportsGuy, me and sabermetrics got along great when we were all on the same page.  When we disagreed with him I was a computer nerd who never played sports and only watched baseball in Excel.

2 minutes ago, murph said:

Would have been surprised if it hadn't.  I either missed it or don't remember.  I do remember your early days, you were a bit more brusque, which would have added to the entertainment.  :D

I'm still pretty brusque.

I just replied to a lengthy post about the Rays' RSN deal with a gif that adequately explained my opinion on the topic.

SG had a real problem with being challenged.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Didn't Ben have a college World Series game where he pitched 11 innings on two days rest or some such thing?  I could be misremembering, but this was the 1980s.  A few years later I personally witnessed a Virginia Tech game where Brad Clontz (future Braves sidearming reliever) threw a complete game in something like a 20-13 win.  Pitch counts are for commies and hippies.

It was something like that, but if I correctly recall he was hammered in his final game of the CoWS - his stuff looked terrible and his arm looked tired.  Once drafted I think the O's put him into almost immediate action in the minors with the tired arm - probably not a wise career move for a top draft pick, but those were different days.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I might be mis-remembering, but I recall there were games where McDonald would pitch a complete game and pitch in relief to close out the next day's game.  

1 minute ago, Plutarch said:

It was something like that, but if I correctly recall he was hammered in his final game of the CoWS - his stuff looked terrible and his arm looked tired.  Once drafted I think the O's put him into almost immediate action in the minors with the tired arm - probably not a wise career move for a top draft pick, but those were different days.

Pretty sure he was drafted before he pitched in the CoWS.

He only pitched 16.1 professional innings in 1989.

Archived