Would be nice to have a ST that goes even somewhat right

interloper

Instead, we've got a pretty Orioles start to Spring Training:

• Bundy sitting 92, throwing meatballs, gives up grand slam
  • Gausman sitting 91-93, allowing 7 of 10 to reach base, leaves with possible concussion
  • Offense yet to wake up, other than 4 homers - 3 from catchers, 1 from Mancini

I know it's Spring. I know. But jeez man. I don't even want to know what Tillman is going to do once he gets a start.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, interloper said:

Instead, we've got a pretty Orioles start to Spring Training:

• Bundy sitting 92, throwing meatballs, gives up grand slam
  • Gausman sitting 91-93, allowing 7 of 10 to reach base, leaves with possible concussion
  • Offense yet to wake up, other than 4 homers - 3 from catchers, 1 from Mancini

I know it's Spring. I know. But jeez man. I don't even want to know what Tillman is going to do once he gets a start.

Right, but we're looking to compete this year so... howver many ominous signs you see, they won't trade anyone for young controllable talent.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m not very worried about velocity on Feb. 26.    It is annoying watching our two best starters get shelled in their first outing, for sure.  

Yeah, this is really the perfect word for it. I'm not, like, PANICKING, but I'm just annoyed. Other teams' good pitchers seem to just go out there and do well enough. I just want to feel good about Bundy and Gausman and they really don't allow you to do so for more than a couple starts at a time. 

Now Gausman is tinkering with a sinker, after tinkering with a slider last year. The guy can't find a 3rd decent pitch to save his life. Bundy, I've come to terms with the fact that his fastball is going to sit 92 most of the time, but if he doesnt' throw the cutter (which he didn't in start #1 I don't think), he's just a dude throwing fastballs. 

I guess I'm just whining lol, but I'd kill for a ST where the players do what they're advertised to do. 

Bundy was supposed to have a 96-97mph fb, but I've never seen him hit more than 94, and often he's around 92-93.  Not that that's awful, but it's not what we expected.  I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a middle of the rotation type.  Gausman has hit 95-97 with regularity, but is so damned inconsistent.  I guess we'll see, but if he's going to be a TOR guy it's time to start doing it.  I'm not sure he'll get there.  Concerning, to say the least.

Yup, I've been in Bundy's corner from the get-go. Gausman, not so much. But have to agree with these comments. Not just based on these February starts, for sure... but in the overall trending of their pitches and velocity.

7 minutes ago, esmd said:

Bundy was supposed to have a 96-97mph fb, but I've never seen him hit more than 94, and often he's around 92-93.  Not that that's awful, but it's not what we expected.  I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a middle of the rotation type.  Gausman has hit 95-97 with regularity, but is so damned inconsistent.  I guess we'll see, but if he's going to be a TOR guy it's time to start doing it.  I'm not sure he'll get there.  Concerning, to say the least.

Bundy either lost the velocity due to TJS or the calcification in his shoulder, which is why I thought it was so promising that Harvey had his velocity this year. 

Bundy is more of a mid-rotation guy than TOR at this point, and I was putting true ace on him before his injury.

24 minutes ago, esmd said:

If you’ve never seen Bundy throw over 94, you weren’t paying attention.   His max velocity in 2016 was between 97 and 98 mph, and last year was between 95 and 96.     http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&b_hand=-1&time=month&minmax=ci&var=maxmph&s_type=2&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&startDate=01/01/2017&endDate=01/01/2018

That said, he doesn’t have the same velocity as before his TJ surgery.   I’m not too fussed with it so long as his four pitch repertoire is working.    His secondaries are better than most.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If you’ve never seen Bundy throw over 94, you weren’t paying attention.   His max velocity in 2016 was between 97 and 98 mph, and last year was between 95 and 96.     http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&b_hand=-1&time=month&minmax=ci&var=maxmph&s_type=2&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&startDate=01/01/2017&endDate=01/01/2018

That said, he doesn’t have the same velocity as before his TJ surgery.   I’m not too fussed with it so long as his four pitch repertoire is working.    His secondaries are better than most.   

Yep.

He did however go from sitting 96-97 to touching 96-97.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep.

He did however go from sitting 96-97 to touching 96-97.

I was going to comment on this as well. https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=12917&position=P&pitch=FA&data=pi

What's weird is that in 2016 we saw him sitting mid 90's. That's post both injuries.. 

Last year he was down a few ticks and I read an article where he commented how he was more concerned about being able to spot it at 92.. 

Reminds me of Tillman's comments on the matter. Gausman seems to be the only one to hold his solid fastball velo. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Listen pal, I've been watching baseball for over 40 years, and I've got a 70" big screen, and......woh......I got possessed by Old#5Fan there for a minute...lol.

In all seriousness, I based my post on personal observation.  I never saw him above 94 last season or in 2016.  You say he hit those numbers, fair enough, I'll concede the point.  But as was said, all we heard pre-injury that that he was consistently at 95-97MPH, or at least that's what I recall, and I'd say we've not really seen that guy.

Archived