Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At worst. I see valuable RH bench bat. DD has made some nice little moves. The rule 5 guys. Spare CFs. Velma. Rasmus. He wanted Goins.   Now just let him sign one or the big SPs. 

DD proved that having a veteran at AAA that can play at the big league level (Like Janish) is needed and handy to have.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Great...another retread. Why we, as an organization, continue to gravitate towards the same tired, washed up players is a mystery that will never be solved. 

We aren't the only organization that does it. They all do it.

These are actual people that have relationships with other people. The Phillies are signing all these ex-Orioles and coaches-- shouldn't be a surprise since Andy MacPhail knows them all personally, spoke with their families, worked with them in close proximity, and developed rapport with them. Just like in the real world, everyone gets a job based on who they know and how well they do it is sometimes a secondary consideration.

It's not even slightly a mystery.

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

We aren't the only organization that does it. They all do it.

These are actual people that have relationships with other people. The Phillies are signing all these ex-Orioles and coaches-- shouldn't be a surprise since Andy MacPhail knows them all personally, spoke with their families, worked with them in close proximity, and developed rapport with them. Just like in the real world, everyone gets a job based on who they know and how well they do it is sometimes a secondary consideration.

It's not even slightly a mystery.

thats what you do these days, you fill out your 25 man roster with cheaper options, unless you are the Dodgers

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lefty masher. Perfect fill-in/insurance for Hays. Hopefully Hays is ready and Valencia is stashed at Norfolk.

Saw this note:

USA Today's Bob Nightengale says Valencia will receive $1.2 million if he makes the major league roster, with $3 million more available in incentives. He looks like a likely platoon partner for Colby Rasmus in right field and also offers the O's an option at first and third base. Valencia hit .256/.314/.411 with 15 homers for the Mariners last season.

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It certainly wouldn't be .804 if he played everyday. 

That’s why he’s a platoon RH bat. Tough crowd to please. DD gets one of the best platoon RH bats out there on a milb deal and people are let down. Plus he can play a passable 3B. 

Not every position on the roster can’t be filled with an all star or emerging prospect. Sometimes you need role players for 162 games. DD is as good as anyone with that. That’s why we over perform expectations. 

I think Valencia is the answer to the "who platoons with Rasmus" question. He can also play for Davis at 1B against lefties if Buck doesn't want Trumbo at first. I think that's more likely why they signed him than those of you focusing on how he's useful as a 3B with both Beckham and Machado over there.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

Platoon partner for Davis too?

Red Sox have 4 left handed starters, Yankees have 2.  If we're a burr in their side this year, easy to see Valencia having a Roenicke-ish part in it.

It’s about time. Nobody wants to watch Davis get dominated by Sale and Price.  Valencia has AL East experience too. He’s basically Steve Pearce just without the guaranteed money that Toronto gave him last year. 

48 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I was about to post and you covered my thoughts. Look at our utility options, most are shortstops overwhelmingly by position.

i still predict we get Flaherty back after/if he opts out from Phillies.

I hope we don't. There is no need for him. 

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ding ding ding!   We have a winner!

You don't give someone 1.2$ M with $3M in options to send him to AAA. I am sorry. I don't agree.

Not saying I am in favor one way or the other, but what makes you think the O's will get a return at the deadline that gets approval from Peter AND makes it worthwhile to execute vs. just getting the draft pick?

Archived