Crichton, Ramirez, Kelly, Brugman and Faulkner cut

Tony-OH

Orioles optioned RHPs Stefan Crichton, Michael Kelly, and Yefry Ramirez to Triple-A Norfolk; reassigned OF Jaycob Brugman and LHP Andrew Faulkner to minor league camp.

None of these were surprises. Crichton has command issues, Kelly never really had a shot, and I'm still not even sure what the Orioles see in Yefry Ramirez. The writing was on the wall for Brugman the second Presley was signed and he was DFA'd. 

Faulkner can get left-handers out but it's doubtful he can be more than a LOOGY. 

31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Tony, sir, no offense, do we really need multiple threads to discuss Orioles roster cuts???????

You know what's awesome about a message board? You can just ignore the thread that don't interest you.

Some people may want to check on a specific player and I'm adding some analysis in. If you are not interested please feel free to ignore. It's not like the board is overflowing with stuff to talk about right now.

In the other cuts thread, I mentioned that I found it interesting that Brugman didn't really get much of a shake at all. I think he's probably got a lot more upside than a guy like Presley, but either way he'll be a solid, young depth piece this year.

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You know what's awesome about a message board? You can just ignore the thread that don't interest you.

Some people may want to check on a specific player and I'm adding some analysis in. If you are not interested please feel free to ignore. It's not like the board is overflowing with stuff to talk about right now.

I get that too, but sometimes, when there are 10 threads on 5 discussions, you end up with the same discussions. :):):)

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

In the other cuts thread, I mentioned that I found it interesting that Brugman didn't really get much of a shake at all. I think he's probably got a lot more upside than a guy like Presley, but either way he'll be a solid, young depth piece this year.

But we haven't lost him, right?  Seemed like there was very little chance of a waiver claim and, indeed, he passed thru waivers.

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I can’t believe Kelly is on the 40 man still. What happened to Liranzo?  He was looking like the next Brach or Givens.  Now he’s looking like Jason Garcia. 

Kelly is probably one of those guys who are at risk when and the Orioles need to add guys like Rasmus, Presley and perhaps a pitcher.

Liranzo has the arm and stuff, but needs to have better command. I think he'll repeat Bowie and we'll see whether he can make adjustments.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

You know the Orioles though. A 31-year old journeyman is always better than a five years younger potential clone due to veteranosity! lol

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Liranzo has the arm and stuff, but needs to have better command. I think he'll repeat Bowie and we'll see whether he can make adjustments.

Liranzo has gone severely backwards over the last 12 months.   I saw him in a spring training outing last year and he looked dominant.    There were scouts sitting in the section next to me and they were drooling over him.   But his command has deserted him and he seems to have lost confidence.   

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Kelly is probably one of those guys who are at risk when and the Orioles need to add guys like Rasmus, Presley and perhaps a pitcher.

Yeah, I fully expect him to get DFAed at some point, it was fascinating they gave him a 40 man spot in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Liranzo has gone severely backwards over the last 12 months.   I saw him in a spring training outing last year and he looked dominant.    There were scouts sitting in the section next to me and they were drooling over him.   But his command has deserted him and he seems to have lost confidence.   

Yeah, I really wonder if his surgically repaired elbow (it has screw in it) started to bother him and he doesn't want to say anything. His stuff took a tumble back a bit last season as well but the clack of not only command, but control hurt him.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I fully expect him to get DFAed at some point, it was fascinating they gave him a 40 man spot in the first place.

Perhaps they thought Joe Kelly somehow came up on the waiver wire and grabbed him. I'm only half joking.

Just now, birdwatcher55 said:

I really hope we don't waste our time on Liranzo. 

I wouldn’t be concerned with that, he’s in a AA bullpen or making 3 inning starts. I’m about as low on him as anyone, but he’s not taking reps from anyone important at this point.

Archived