My 25-man roster prediction (as of 3/7/18)

interloper

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.

Sign Hays to a team friendly deal now.

I'm open to that, but who is your benchmark?  I heard last offseason Lindor turned down $100M from Cleveland, and think in general the player's willingness to sell FA years for their first tens of millions has been ebbing, as they watch the Trouts, Goldschmidts, Archers and Sales of the world get paid pennies on the dollar for their primes.  Never mind how irritated they all are right now with ownership and front offices over the present FA situation.

Cot's has DeJong on there now, and his Arb 1/2/3 years look priced at $4M, $6M, $9M.  The club options on his first two FA years are at 2/27.

If I'm Hays, I think I belong above the DeJong benchmark because DeJong is even more Orioles than the Orioles and no way is that kind of plate discipline going to play long term.  I might get interested around 125% of that, but probably closer to 150%.

A few years ago, this was the time of spring those announcements came like hotcakes, but that flow has slowed considerably.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

10/$80M.  Would you pull the trigger on that?

Probably not.   The first 3 years cost less than $2 mm.    So, 7/$78 mm for the rest, three of which are still at an arbitration discount.   So basically it’s:

$550 k

$600 k

$650 k

$5.4 mm

$8.1 mm

$10.8 mm

$13.5 mm

$13.5 mm

$13.5 mm

$13.5 mm

That’s a huge commitment to a guy who’s barely played in the majors.

27 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

10/$80M.  Would you pull the trigger on that?

That’s too much, I can almost guarantee it wouldn’t take that much. It’s really too early to extend him anyways. Let him get a MLB season under his belt and then go for it, I like him as much as the next guy, but let him show he can make that transition first. 

16 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s too much, I can almost guarantee it wouldn’t take that much. It’s really too early to extend him anyways. Let him get a MLB season under his belt and then go for it, I like him as much as the next guy, but let him show he can make that transition first. 

I'm going to disagree.  Assuming you think the player is the real deal then I would strike as early as possible.  Every season that passes costs the team.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to disagree.  Assuming you think the player is the real deal then I would strike as early as possible.  Every season that passes costs the team.

I see your point and the cost would increase, but I think the added certainty would be worth the cost in this case, just my opinion.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like Hays, but he's not a sure thing.  He still might turn out to be a Matos/Bigbie/Richard.  It's too early to talk long-term deal, imo.  

29 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I like Hays, but he's not a sure thing.  He still might turn out to be a Matos/Bigbie/Richard.  It's too early to talk long-term deal, imo.  

But you don’t mention Markakis, or even Reimold. Just based on numbers, it looks like Hays is similar to Clint Frazier of the NYY. 

Hays is a little banged up.  That’s fine.  Let Rasmus/Gentry hold down RF while Hays heals up and gets everyday ABs in AAA. 

Back to the OP,  We might think the 5th starter race is between Wright/Cortes/Harvey and Ynoa, but Castro makes his first appearance of ST tomorrow. He’s going to get 4-5 starts before OD. I think he’d have to bomb or get injured not to win it. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But you don’t mention Markakis, or even Reimold. Just based on numbers, it looks like Hays is similar to Clint Frazier of the NYY. 

Hays is a little banged up.  That’s fine.  Let Rasmus/Gentry hold down RF while Hays heals up and gets everyday ABs in AAA. 

Back to the OP,  We might think the 5th starter race is between Wright/Cortes/Harvey and Ynoa, but Castro makes his first appearance of ST tomorrow. He’s going to get 4-5 starts before OD. I think he’d have to bomb or get injured not to win it. 

Terrific - he could end up like Reimold...  

I didn't mention Markakis, because I was pointing out the potential downside of giving him a long-term extension.  We all know there's potential upside as well.  Was that really not clear?  

Archived